will they lay soon?

Moderator: Mods

alana8819

will they lay soon?

Post by alana8819 »

just wondering when people's ringnecks and alexandrines in nsw australia start breeding i have heard so many different things and also do they breed the same time every year our alex pairs breed at the end of july beginning of august last year.
thanks in advance

edited to include a word i forgot
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Last year at this time, my IRNs laid their first egg.

This year seems to be a bit later. The green hen that bred last year, has been in her nestbox but has not shown a great amount of interest in the male, (not from his lack of trying :lol: :wink: ).

All the boys are trying their luck with the ladies but the girls are proving a bit hard to get lol.

Maybe it has something to do with the weather as this time last year was cold but not as cold as it has been the last few weeks here in NSW. Or perhaps it has something to do with the drought we are STILL in :roll: :evil:

Or maybe they want the boys to EARN their fun! :P lol

8)
alana8819

Post by alana8819 »

my pair of ringies wont go near the nest box yet unless they do it when i'm not looking, the alex females are in the box a lot but not enough to lay and havent been overly interested in the males one actually gets told to fk off if he goes near her :shock: breeder before i got them taught her that.
well thanks good to know my birds arent the only lazy buggers lol
TD

Post by TD »

Great Topic - so Pinkdevil, should I be putting the nest box up about now, or is it too early? My IRN's are pretty chummy. Its pretty cold here in Southern Vic, as you'd expect, but my cockatiels look like they're about to have a crack at it! Cheers, Tim.
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

TD..... I am going by last years breeding time which was around now. The boys have been trying to get fresh with the girls so I have given a couple of pairs boxes to see if they will go down.

So far the Lutino male has shown interest in the box but not the girl :roll: lol and the greens that bred last year for me has shown interest in the box. She has chewed most of the wall out :evil: lol so now she has a HUGE entrance lol and has made a nice little "dish" shape in her nesting material. But I have not seen them mate yet (but I never saw them mate last year either lol)

My handraised Lutino girl is definately in the mood....well she is after loving from me, :shock: so I put a male in there for her and he tried to get it on but she won't have a part of him. This is her first time as well so not sure if it is because she was handraised and tame or if she just is not into him yet.

The Blues I have were getting fresh with each other but the male was too busy impressing the girl with his dance rather than do the deed!! :lol: :lol:
She has also been showing interest in the box but no eggs yet.

If it looks like your birds could be showing interest, then I would put a box in and see what happens.

Being further South, your birds might be a few weeks later than here. :)

My young 9 month cockatiels were clucky a couple of weeks ago trying to nest in their seed dish :o But no boys for them....too young :)

8)
Fah

Post by Fah »

Here in Adelaide I have the boxes in all year around.. gets very hot and very cold very fast here, so I just keep regular maintenance on the boxes. Mine start getting into box mode mid-late june.

They are breeding atm so I am expecting eggs anytime from 2-3 weeks from now.

I also change the feed around this time of the year and it encourages their breeding cycle. Since summers are getting more and more nasty last few years I am trying to bring their breeding times forward into the cooler months. In the past my guys would go down approx late august with eggs, now they should be going down with eggs approx late july.

Bringing the breeding season a month early is a godsend atm.
TD

Post by TD »

Thanks pinkdevil & Fah. I know winter in Adelaide & Melbourne can be similar - bloody cold.

I might suss it out this weekend and see how it goes. Appreciate your help!
Fah

Post by Fah »

No worries. There are a few reasons for regular maintenance on bird boxes if you leave them in throughout the year.

Bee's. Sadly I had to wipe out a colony of over 10 thousand of the little fellas that took residence in one of my ringneck boxes.

For some reason, a colony og bee's moved from their home, possibly due to environment change etc, and found themselves in my aviary. Day one i saw a few more bees than normal... day 3 I had 5 thousand or more, and by day 4 when the bee removalist came in, there was a whole colony.

Bee's are a dwindling thing in todays world, so I had someone take the box out and take the queen and about 6k of them in buckets. The rest unfortunately had to die.

This is a serious drawback to leaving boxes in the aviary, it was a freak occurance in my 6 years of breeding, so its hardly common. And it has not happened to anyone I know. But other bugs and such like dark, safe, dry areas. So regular checking / monthly replacement of the box matter is advisable to make sure nothing likes the activity around it.

As a general rule if you want to keep your boxes out of the aviary. Put them in sometime during June start of July. Some hens DO get overly clucky, and will try anything to find access to a suitable nesting area... even if that means hurting herself trying to find a way OUT of the aviary. I have seen a friends bird grind its beak and nails to terrible lengths to escape from an aviary it just couldnt get out of.
alana8819

Post by alana8819 »

just thought i'd let you all know the alex pairs have started laying and the ringnecks look like they're about to join the parenthood train any moment now. so exciting
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Ohhhh how exciting :)

Congrats on the Alexes!

My IRNs haven't gone down yet BUT......the Lutinos are feeding each other (good sign :lol: ) and the hen has a bendy "been-in-the-nest" look to it (a great sign lol)

I was talking to someone who said that last year was an early breeding season and this year is either on time or a bit later.

We will have to "compare" our birds progress! :D :D

8)
TD

Post by TD »

Great news on the Alexes!

My IRN's are always in & out of the nest at the moment, taking turns. Does anyone put up multiple (2) nesting boxes up for their birds? I had a man made box in there that they were semi interested in, but once I put a natural hollow log in, they went nuts over it and are now sleeping in it at night. Should I take the man made one down now, or does it not matter?
Thx again!
Tim.