Cleartail or White Head White Tail Mutation

Moderator: Mods

Ring0Neck

Cleartail or White Head White Tail Mutation

Post by Ring0Neck »

I thought i should open up a discussion on this mutation as it is in my opinion most exciting right now, at least here in OzLand.

It is said that whwt are harder to breed then other ringnecks, anyone can confirm or deny the rumor?

I have bought a pair recently : colored whwht grey hen & blue/whwt
i am hoping that this year i will get the most wanted "whwt cock".

all welcome to add to this subject
Fah

Post by Fah »

It is harder to breed with yes, that is because it is recessive, not sex linked.

Note: the official name for the white headed, white tailed, its called "cleartail" now, genetically anyway. Most the older breeders I know still refer to them as wht headed wht tailed.

Your pair will throw cocks and hens all at even odds:
Grey Ceartails
Grey split Cleartail
Blue Cleartail
Blue split Cleartail

They are a very very pretty indian ringneck, sadly it is still only breeders who are excited by the exotic ringnecks. The cost of a cleartail ringneck that was not inter-bred too much is comparable to the costs of the rarer amazons. Hopefully we will see more and more responsible breeders bringing these into mainstream breeding here in Australia, though it is some time off.

They are a more annoying bird to breed with due to the following pair requirements to get colour birds from them regardless of the sex of the birds.

cleartail with a cleartail throw all cleartails

cleartail with a split will throw 50% chance of cleartail, 50% chance of splits.

split with a split, will throw 25% chance of cleartail, 25% chance of nothing, 50% chance of split

cleartail with nothing, all babies are split none are coloured

split with a nothing, is 50% chance of split, 50% chance of nothing

This is why it is extremely hard to find a breeder with relatively "clean" stock here in Australia. Many just pair young with their parents to "broaden" their stocks of coloured birds, so they do not have to go through the guesswork or time that is required to truely inject fresh blood into the mutation.

Sadly I know two such breeders with stock that do not throw fertile young.

It is a gorgeous mutation, just one that is very touch and go here, and you will want to check very carefully the origins of your birds, so future breeding doesnt throw you into a spot of bother.
Fah

Post by Fah »

Note: For other future breeders, please research your birds before you dive in. There are plenty of scams going on in the cleartail world at the moment. People selling "split cleartail birds" should not be bought from unless you can 1) establish their validity through known breeders etc (people breeding cleartails are more often than not, known by other breeders) or 2) go see the parents for yourself.

It is a difficult bird to breed with in regards to their requirements to get colour from them, and often people sell any young that isnt with colour as a split... which in many regards, it can take you two to three breeding cycles to know for sure, when you arent getting any colour birds from it.

Play safe, ask around, and for a bird that will cost you several thousand dollars, please PLEASE, spend the extra few hundred to fly over and check out what they have. Its not alot in regards to the birds cost, and you can build up a true relationship with the breeder.
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Fah, Thanks for the info, yes it is called cleartail but i have posted the old name so more people will understand which birds we are referring to.
Before i bought my pair i spoke to numerous breeders that have cleartail and many are working on bringing this beautiful bird to main stream market and i noticed many have gone to cobalt & violet which is a magnificent bird.
The good thing is that these new mutations still being established, is giving us ringneck breeders excitement for years to come. with pastels playing a part in colors is all exciting stuff.
Razsringnecks

Post by Razsringnecks »

Wow....Great reading :P
How are your tail birds going....RingONeck....are they of breeding age?
I would love to hear more.
:P
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

It is early in the breeding season but the hen being 1 year old is not showing signs of wanting to breed as yet.
it is also possible that she might be from a second clutch which makes her a few months younger still.
i still hope that she will lay this year but if not i will have her ready next breeding season. Either way she''s good looking bird , happy to have it in my cages
Razsringnecks

Post by Razsringnecks »

Hey Fah,
I totally understand what you are saying about research your birds before you buy as there are some very shiffty poeple around. :twisted: There is a fellow...friend of mine in NSW...He only breeds ringnecks and has been breeding cleartails for a few years now. He has worked on his blood lines so that nearlly all of his birds now are unrelated. :wink: He also loves a chat and has been a great help with me starting from scratch.

RingOneck.....Wait till they breed....that will be fantastic. And there are so many different colors to breed into them over the coming years. :lol: I actually found this site last year when Jay was posting pics of his Blue cleartail babies. He has some wonderful birds. :P :P :P