Do IRNs Pair Young?Quest on Temps?

Moderator: Mods

LuvIRNs92084

Do IRNs Pair Young?Quest on Temps?

Post by LuvIRNs92084 »

I noticed my weaned 3 that were in the avery together kept fighting. 2 were same clutch 1 wasn't. The 2 were fighting with the 1. So I removed 1 of the 2 same clutch and now alls good in the avery.Is this normal behavior?I handfed all 3 together.Also, I cant find any information on Temperatures. Does anyone know the coldest they can tolerate versus the hottest?
Jay

Post by Jay »

Each IRN has their own distinct personality so they may prefer to hang out with another IRN over a clutchmate.... familiarity breeds contempt :lol: ?

After some time, IRNs will forget who their clutchmates are. They'll even forget who their parents/offsprings are and will mate with them the following season.

IRNs are very resilient creatures. I've seen my IRNs tolerate up to 105 deg F of temperature and as low as 26 deg F. Personally, since they come with a natural down jacket, I think they tend to prefer colder weather rather than hot. I also think that wind draft is more dangerous for them rather than static cold temperature. Wind will break down the warm air insulation that they have when their feathers are puffed up. So what I do during winter is I hang wind barriers on the upper 12 inches of their flight cages.
LuvIRNs92084

IRNs outside

Post by LuvIRNs92084 »

Ok, they are totally protected 360. No wind, Plus it has a full length cotton cove the wraps from the bottom to the top all the way around.It has its own roof as well, plus its on my huge covered patio in the corner, in addition the house is also protecting half of the Aviary. The aviary stands 8ft tall. Its super nice. But they just weaned. When is it ok to let them spend the night outside?Its been getting 50s in Pm through the night.
Jay

Post by Jay »

If they are fully-weaned, now is a good time to bring them outside so that they will slowly acclimatize to the increasing late spring-early summer temperatures. Remember, they have natural feather jackets so 50 degrees F weather shouldn't bother them that much.

Southern California has great climate for breeding IRNs in outside aviaries.
LuvIRNs92084

Sleeping Outside

Post by LuvIRNs92084 »

Im thinking maybe I'll sleep outside too, just in case they don't like it. I'm gonna pretend I'm camping! :D
Ive been thinking about it the last 48 hours. I tried last night, I held out until 10:15 pm. I kept peeking in to check on them. Then, I couldn't stand it anymore, and I brought them back in, lol.I know I'm a Enabler I admit it!Now that I think about it, they probably think I'm crazy peeking in on them every 15 minutes then putting them back into the bird room.Hey, I tried right thats all the counts, baby steps.I've never had this problem its weird.
Kris