Preserving eggs

Moderator: Mods

Ring0Neck

Preserving eggs

Post by Ring0Neck »

Just thought i ask.
Does anyone know how to preserve eggs? and how long can you hold them for?

Why? you might ask...there's times when:
1. having a pair that is their first time but you don't trust them hatching
2. a pair that is known not to care for the young or worse kill them
so many other scenarios when you think...i'd better take their eggs and put them under X pair for hatching but the other pair has not laid eggs yet.
Donna

Post by Donna »

In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Thanks Donna for your reply but, the idea brought up is to have chicks parent raised. It is not a question for options to above examples...but simply t"how to preserve eggs and duration you can keep them.
Donna

Post by Donna »

Ring0 sorry apparently I'm confused on your question.

If your going to pull these eggs from the parents then you must have an incubator to keep them warm and turned every 2 hours you can't preserve them any other way unless you do put them in with another pair of birds. It takes about 23 days for ringneck eggs to hatch if we are talking about fertile eggs. But if your talking about unfertile eggs you can let the hen sit them for the entire incubation period and when the hen stops sitting on them you can dispose of them.

Am I still confused on your question?

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
Jay

Re: Preserving eggs

Post by Jay »

Ring0Neck wrote:Just thought i ask.
Does anyone know how to preserve eggs? and how long can you hold them for?

Why? you might ask...there's times when:
1. having a pair that is their first time but you don't trust them hatching
2. a pair that is known not to care for the young or worse kill them
so many other scenarios when you think...i'd better take their eggs and put them under X pair for hatching but the other pair has not laid eggs yet.

When kept in optimum conditions, fertilized IRN eggs remain viable in storage for about two weeks then hatchability diminishes rapidly after that.

Tips on storing IRN eggs for future fostering to other hens:

1. Gather eggs within four hours after they are laid. Most IRNs lay eggs mid-morning. Leave behind at least one egg (non-fertile from another hen or better yet a fake egg). Don't let your hen lay more than 6 eggs. Allow her to recover her calcium and nutrient level. This is where a diet of calcium-rich green veggies and pelleted diet is of advantage.

2. Store eggs small-end down. Storage temperature at 50 to 55 degrees Fahrenheit and relative humidity at 70% which is roughly 50 to 60 degrees Fahrenheit wet bulb. Refrigerators can maintain such temps but the refrigerator has to be dedicated to egg storage as human food cannot be stored at those elevated temps. The non frost-free types are better because they allow for higher humidity levels.

3. Before handling eggs, wash hands thoroughly with anti-bacterial soap. This is also good practice when candling eggs.

4. Tilt eggs 45 degrees to its side once a day. This prevents the yolk from adhering to the side of the egg shell.

5. Never subject the eggs with temperatures over 72 degrees F or embryo will prematurely and inadequately develop.

6. Prior to putting the eggs under foster parents, let eggs stabilize at room temperature for about 4-8 hours. This prevents "temperature shock" on the eggs since incubation temperatures by hens approach the 100 degree level.

That's all I can think of. Hope that helps.
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Thanks Jay, Donna.
Jay has answered the question/info i was after.
I do not want to incubate the eggs but rather store them as Jay said.
Thanks