Is it easy to breed IRNs?

Moderator: Mods

noeo

Is it easy to breed IRNs?

Post by noeo »

Hello,
I am new to IRNs and to this site. I have read a lot of posting regarding breeding but need someone to answer a few questions for me.

1. Has anyone been unsuccessful in breeding IRNs?
2. How long (years) do I have to wait for my IRNs to produce babies?
3. How will I know if my pair will not produce babies, even though they bond with each other.

I am anxious to have little babies and be able to play with them since my pair of IRNs are very wild.
Donna

Post by Donna »

Finding a pair of ringnecks and setting them up to breed is probably the easy part. Ringnecks are at their sexual maturity at about 3 years of age.
You want to do all your research before getting into breeding because it might not be what you want to do or have time for. Before you even think about babies you want to learn how to hand feed them and fully wean them and know what problems to look for.

Here are a couple of articles to get you started in the right direction.

http://www.birdsnways.com/wisdom/ww57e.htm
http://www.birdsnways.com/wisdom/ww57e.htm
http://www.birdsnways.com/wisdom/ww13eiv.htm

Best of luck and welcome to the site

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
noeo

Post by noeo »

Donna

thank you for the information. I am gathering all information I can get my hands on regarding IRNs. These are beautiful birds and want to keep them for as long as I can. I am up to the challenge to breeding my birds and my kids are willing to help out.
Jay

Re: Is it easy to breed IRNs?

Post by Jay »

noeo wrote:Hello,
I am new to IRNs and to this site. I have read a lot of posting regarding breeding but need someone to answer a few questions for me.

1. Has anyone been unsuccessful in breeding IRNs?
2. How long (years) do I have to wait for my IRNs to produce babies?
3. How will I know if my pair will not produce babies, even though they bond with each other.

I am anxious to have little babies and be able to play with them since my pair of IRNs are very wild.

I'm sure there are people who were not successful in breeding IRNs, but with ample research, proper guidance, attitude, and breeding ethics, I don't see any reason why anyone would fail as IRNs are freebreeding and relatively one of the easiest to breed among all parrots.

Males are sexually mature enough to breed between 2-3 years of age while hens are 1-2 years of age.

Not all IRNs are the same so there are variables when it comes to their breeding performance. Some IRNs are good breeders while some are not. Kinda like humans. There are good parents and there are not so good parents. But the only way to find out is to give them a chance and provide your IRNs with the best possible breeding conditions.
noeo

Post by noeo »

The pair of IRNs were given to me and was told that they are about 3 years old. They are house in a aviary that I built which measures 7'L X 4'W X 7'H. I feed them the best food I can find from the pet store plus fresh fruits and vegies. Water is changed daily with a few drops of Vitamins. They also have toys that I placed around the aviary. the nestbox that I have for them is an "L" shape box. These birds are also very "wild". Don't know if this complicates things.
Donna

Post by Donna »

These birds are also very "wild". Don't know if this complicates things.

noeo that's a good thing if their on the wild side for breeding purposes.
alot of your tame pet quality birds don't always make good breeders.

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
noeo

Post by noeo »

thanks Jay and Donna

will keep everyone posted during the next breeding season