Suggestions Needed on Violet IRN Pairing

Moderator: Mods

Ring0Neck

Suggestions Needed on Violet IRN Pairing

Post by Ring0Neck »

Hi Everyone!, This is my first of many posts (i hope) and i must say your input would be much appreciated.
Violet mutation, information is very hard to find so i hope that you guys will jump in with your suggestions.
I have 1 x mature Violet hen
2x 1 Y/Olds violet cocks
Question i have is:
What would a good pairing be to a violet?... other then the obvious blue & violet?
Secondly: how do you get a violet WHWT? if you do not have a violet WHWT to start with? Would a cross between say a blue/grey WHWT and violet do the trick? BTW i have seen the calculator.
All welcome to throw in ideas, Experts like Jeremy & Jay your input would be most appreciated !!
Cheers
Filip
Jay

Post by Jay »

Violet IRNs combine best with Blue series birds. So other than Blue, look for the following males for your mature hen:

1. TurquoiseBlue or Turquoise (PastelBlue or Pastel)
2. Blue or TurquoiseBlue Lacewings (if you like the lighter shade of IRNs)
3. No Inos as Ino will totally mask Violet
4. No Greys as Grey will ALMOST totally mask Violet
5. Blue series Buttercups(Clearhead_Fallow), WHWT(Cleartails) and Pieds. On the first generation, you will only produce splits to these mutations but any split produced can be line bred back to the high mutation parent to produce visual Violet Buttercup, Violet WHWT (Cleartail) and Violet Pieds which are all stunning birds.

When buying high priced mutations, try to always lean on buying hens because males are more prone to being killed when the hens don't like them. Also, males are more prone to being split to Ino, which is undesirable when breeding the higher priced mutations. Lastly, hens breed at 1-2 years of age while males breed at 2-3 years. So right there and then, 1 year of waiting has been saved.

The only advantage of having high mutation males is the pretty neck ring :D
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Thanks JAY, i am aware of the inos and greys no go situation.

I am just thinking if i should acquire a lacewing violet although expensive can save me a year or so.

On another note,for a Creamino Cock is there a good partner for it in particular?
Jay

Post by Jay »

Because Violet is a Dominant mutation and Lacewing (Pallid) is sex-linked and "acts" Dominant in females, then you can breed Violet Lacewings on the first generation by breeding a Lacewing male with a Violet hen.

It is a lot more difficult to breed Violet into the recessive mutations such as Cleartail and Buttercup because on the first generation, all you're producing are Violet split Cleartails or Violet split Buttercups.

Because of this, breeders who want to save time would rather buy a Violet split Cleartail and breed it with visual Cleartails to produce Violet Cleartails (Violet WHWT) on the first generation. It just depends how much your time is worth and how anxious you are in breeding visuals.

A Creamino (TurquoiseBlue Lutino) is a combination of three mutations so usually it is what people try to attain as a breeding goal. You can breed out its components to produce Turquoises, Blues, and Lutinos but what fun would that be?

The only other step up that I can think of is breeding Lacewing into it to produce TurquoiseBlue PallidInos... which is the flying bird on the main page of my website. To produce this bird, breed a Lacewing hen to your Creamino.

By the way, you need to resize your avatar :wink:
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Jay, Thanks for the valuable info. Yes my avatar is just a temp , i'll get a better one done up.
Lacewing cock: should not matter if it is a grey, green or blue lacewing or does it?

Just on the Creamino Cock, suggestions on a hen???
Jay

Post by Jay »

Ring0Neck wrote:Jay, Thanks for the valuable info. Yes my avatar is just a temp , i'll get a better one done up.
Lacewing cock: should not matter if it is a grey, green or blue lacewing or does it?

Just on the Creamino Cock, suggestions on a hen???

For your Creamino cock, the best mate would be a Turquoise Grey Lacewing hen.

Creamino cock x Turquoise Grey Lacewing hen
=Grey Pallidino males
=Blue Pallidino males
=TurquoiseBlue Grey Pallidino males
=TurquoiseBlue Pallidino males
=Albino hens
=Creamino hens
=Albino masking Grey hens
=Creamino masking Grey hens

To avoid Grey being masked (which is really not too bad as you get an extra mutation), then TurquoiseBlue Lacewing or Blue Lacewing hens make good matches to your Creamino cock.
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

I tried to pair up the Violet hen with a Lacewing blue cock.
No luck.. :cry: as the hen hates light colors for some reason and chased him all over the aviary. had to be removed.
suggestions??
thanks
Jay

Post by Jay »

Ring0Neck wrote:I tried to pair up the Violet hen with a Lacewing blue cock.
No luck.. :cry: as the hen hates light colors for some reason and chased him all over the aviary. had to be removed.
suggestions??
thanks

It's way too early in your breeding season. Besides the possible lack of interest by the hen on your male, the male or your hen are probably not ready yet for breeding hence the aggression. I would put the male of your choice in an adjacent cage and hopefully the hen will warm up to him. Perhaps put another male on another adjacent cage and see whom she prefers to side with?

One other thing, NEVER introduce a male into a hen's cage. That's one quick way of getting your male killed. Hens are fiercely territorial of their cage/nests. What you can do if you have limited cage... remove the hen from the breeding cage and put her on a holding cage. Put the male of your choice in the breeding cage for at least a week prior to reintroducing the hen. Hopefully this will establish the male as the "owner" of the breeding cage. Don't hang any nestbox until after you see them mating.

Clip some of your hen's wings that way she is slower than the male in case she still tries to chase him around.
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Jay, Great info, Thanks
I have the Hen in the Flight aviary. 6m long x 3mw x 3m h

I will not put her in a suspended till she chooses a mate.
I left them into this flight area as it is safer for the cock not being killed.
I noticed that she hates light colors, yellow, white, perhaps she is not used to these colors.
You were right though, i have introduced the male to the hen, hence being a flight where other birds are she still felt as the owner.
i have space and empty suspends as i will move them into it once paired.
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

as i have not mastered the calculator as yet.
can someone tell me what would the offspring of Pastel Violet hen & pastel blue lacewing cock be??thanks for your help
Jay

Post by Jay »

Pastel = Turquoise + Blue

So on the GenCalc, click Turquoise + Blue + SF Violet under the female column (0.1). The Blue will have to be selected under the "splits to" column.

Click Blue + Pallid on the male column (1.0) both under the "visual" column.

The result you would have gotten is as follows:

Blue Pallid cock x TurquoiseBlue Violet hen
=Blue split Pallid cocks
=Violet Blue split Pallid cocks
=Turquoise split Pallid cocks
=TurquoiseBlue Violet split Pallid cocks

=Blue Pallid hens
=Violet Blue Pallid hens
=TurquoiseBlue Pallid hens
=TurquoiseBlue Violet Pallid hens
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Now i understand , thanks heaps Jay
Jay

Post by Jay »

Oops. Your male is actually a Pastel Blue Lacewing and not a Blue Lacewing.

Just add the following to the results above:

=DF Turquoise split Pallid cocks
=DF Turquoise Violet split Pallid cocks
=DF Turquoise Pallid hens
=DF Turquoise Violet Pallid hens

DF = Double Factor
Pallid = Lacewing
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Jay,
The DF below, does it mean that violet will be double factor??
Eg: Pairing a DF Turquoise Violet Pallid hen with say a blue, all young will be Sf &/or DF Turquoise Violet Pallids?

at least that what the calculator shows me.
BTW i just bought this pair we talked about

DF Turquoise split Pallid cocks
=DF Turquoise Violet split Pallid cocks
=DF Turquoise Pallid hens
=DF Turquoise Violet Pallid hens
Jay

Post by Jay »

Ring0Neck wrote:Jay,
The DF below, does it mean that violet will be double factor??

On the results above, the DF only applies to the Turquoise gene and NOT the Violet gene. To produce DF Violets, both parents need to have the Violet gene.

Eg: Pairing a DF Turquoise Violet Pallid hen with say a blue, all young will be Sf &/or DF Turquoise Violet Pallids?

Not when mated with a Blue male you won't. Just like the Violet example above, you will only get Turquoise(DF) if both parents carry the Turquoise gene.
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

On the Gen calculator, what do i put in for silver IRN?

also dark factor, D Blue - is that a double factor blue = cobalt?
Chriskoi

Post by Chriskoi »

Ring0Neck wrote:On the Gen calculator, what do i put in for silver IRN?

also dark factor, D Blue - is that a double factor blue = cobalt?

D Blue is Cobalt, right. But it isn't a double factor blue.
Cobalt is a combiantion of the blue gen and the dark gen.
Double factor dark is called mauve.