Names of colors?

Moderator: Mods

MGA828

Names of colors?

Post by MGA828 »

I am not very advanced when it comes to names of mutations, but I am trying to learn. I have also noticed that some mutations has a few different names that people use.

I am probably going to sound very stupid asking this, but what exactly is an ino - is that the same a lutino or something else? I know there are other mutations in the ino family such as albino, but when someone says ino are they refering to lutino or something else. Also, what about a pallid ino - I know pallid is also lacewing, but would that be a lutino lacewing? Also would anyone know what a pallid ino would look like - I would be curious to the actual look of this mutation. I hope that I don't sound to stupid here.

Thanks in advance for any help given.
"We only part to meet again"
julie

Post by julie »

this is a link to jays site, he has some really cool mutations and pics for you to have a look at. http://www.indianringneck.net/
check out the mutations section. Ino refers to the bird having the ino gene, eg albino,lutino ect in the parents genes. When using ino birds you have to choose carefully what to pair them with in order for the ino gene to not mask the colours.
MGA828

Post by MGA828 »

Yea, I have been to his site many times look at his beautiful pictures. If you have a bird that is considered an Ino then what would it visually be? I am so confused about the Ino gene and would really like to learn more about it, but I can't seem to find much information on it.
"We only part to meet again"
Jay

Post by Jay »

Hi MGA,

Albinism (Ino mutation) means absence of melanin in the feathers, eyes, and superficial soft tissues. Lutinos, Albinos and Creaminos fall into that category.

Lutinos and Creaminos however contain another pigmentation called psittacin. Psittacins are sometimes called Luteins, so this is where the word Lutino came from. Psittacins are responsible for the yellow feather color and pinkish ring pigmentation on males.

Albinism (Ino mutation) does not remove the psittacin pigmentation. That would be the job of the Blue mutation. Albino birds contain the Blue and Ino mutation which will make it devoid of surface melanin and psittacin, hence a White bird.

The skin and eyes of Inos are pinkish mainly because of direct and reflected coloration of hemoglobin found in blood vessels.

No living creature, including Albinos, are completely devoid of melanin. Melanin serves other body functions and is found in the brain (embryonic neural crest) and other vital organs. Total absence of melanin cannot support life.

Summary:
Albino = No melanin + no psittacin
Creamino = No melanin + partial psittacin
Lutino = No melanin + full psittacin
Blue = Full melanin + no psittacin
Turquoise and Aqua = Full melanin + partial psittacin
Green = Full melanin + Full psittacin
Pallid (Lacewing) = Partial Melanin
PallidIno = Combination of the sister mutations Pallid and Ino = ~75% melanin reduction