leg problem in baby IRN

Moderator: Mods

fakahany

leg problem in baby IRN

Post by fakahany »

Hi all, am a new member here in this forum :)
My IRN lade 5 eggs but only one hatched ... although the eggs were fertile ...but don't know why ..
the hatched one is 3 weeks old .... and he's have a problem concerning his left leg .... it little bite of the track ... see the picture ...

am currently hand feeding him/her ... so please tell me what should i do to aid his leg ...and did anyone face this problem before ?

thanks a lot in advance :)
Best Regards
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

If no injury has happened to the leg, I would lean to it being splayed! :?

Splayed legs are caused from either not enough nesting material, poor diet or parents can sometimes sit too hard on their chicks. Mostly though, it is through insuficiant nesting material.

I see by your photo that there is not much nesting material in the nest box. Chicks need plenty of material to grip onto so their legs don't go from underneath them and end up splayed. The bare floor does not supply this as they can't grip and their leg/legs can grow similar to the splits. If the parents keep kicking out the bedding, keep replacing it.

Not sure if there is alot that you can do. Depends on how long the little one has been like this for. I have read of a few "home" remedies but not sure how reliable these work or how safe they are for the chick, so I won't repeat them.

Hopefully someone here has had experience with splayed legs or knows of something that might make him a little more comfortable.

Let us know how you go.

8)
Donna

Post by Donna »

In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
fakahany

Post by fakahany »

Thank you so much for the replies....
I went a head and did one similar to the one in http://www.parrotparrot.com/splay/
and here is the pictures ... am I missing any thing?
I put him in a box but he started to climb the box ...so I built sort of a taller wall..
Am just feeling that now his legs are little bit before his abdomen not underneath it!

is it better to make him a yarn hobble ! or shall i stick to this one ...knowing that he's almost 3 weeks old

Thank you ! :)
Donna

Post by Donna »

That looks great!!!! :D

Donna
In Loving Memory

I miss you both
fakahany

Post by fakahany »

thanks donna, ill be keeping it for 2 more days and see whether he will be able to walk normally or ill insert a new one (hope not !!)
Best Regards :)
fakahany

Post by fakahany »

another thing donna ..... sry :)
But in my country they don’t sell any formulas ...so i had to make my homemade one .... currently am using baby formula (Cerelac) is it good enough or should i add something else ..... today I added
today i noticed that his poopies are green/white and wet !

is it a healthy poopy ?
what should i add to the formula ?

so many question .... i know ...sry !
Donna

Post by Donna »

You can mix baby food fruits and vegtables to your home made formula.

Are you keeping a weight record every day on the baby?

The poops you discribed sounds normal.

Good luck with your baby, there are other members here in countries that don't have birdie forumla and maybe they can give you more suggestions.

Donna
In Loving Memory

I miss you both
fakahany

Post by fakahany »

oooh ic ... ill try to keep weighing him ... and see ...
Well thank you for your support Donna :D
I guess ill post a new topic and ask abt the receipt for the homemade formula.... in order that every1 can see !
Thank you once again Donna