chicks are dieing.

Moderator: Mods

armenh1

chicks are dieing.

Post by armenh1 »

hi,

i need some advise, i have a pair that has laid 5 clutches already, all the chicks are coming out, great. but one problem, the female is not feeding them and letting them die out. i have lost close to 15 or 20 already from this pair. the female is lutino and the male is blue.
all my other pairs have hatched their chicks and they are out of the boxes. i cant foster them out to any of the other pairs. and i dont want to let another clutch die as she has laid again. this time 6 eggs and they are all fertile. can someone help and tell me what i should do next please.

Thank you
lovemybirds

Post by lovemybirds »

You say they have had 5 clutches already. :o Is that over 5 seasons, or just in the recent season?

Maybe your hen is tired & needs to be rested. It takes a fair bit out of them raising young & they should be rested before breeding again.

I'm no expert on it, as I haven't actually bred any IRN's yet. But my opinion would be is that she needs a break. If you want your clutch to survive, you will have to hand raise them yourself, as your hen certainly doesn't seem to be up to the job. It will more than likely, be the same scenario with the next clutch of 6 eggs.

Hope all turns out for the best! Good luck. :D
Donna

Post by Donna »

You have to take these chicks out as soon as they hatch and start hand feeding them. 15 to 20 chicks is alot for one pair and you could be risking your hens life if you don't seperate them and take the nest box off. It sounds like you have a very inexperienced hen maybe to young to know what to do. You said you can not have another pair foster them Why?

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
armenh1

Post by armenh1 »

hi, thank you for the advise, this is only in this season, it was strange that she had 5 clutches before, but i will do that, as soon as they hatch, i will take them out and hand feed them, all my other pairs are finished feeding their chicks and they are all out of the nest boxes. i will take them out as soon as they hatch and remove the nest box until next season, the hen that i have is about 4 or 5 years old. but i will do what you suggest, thank you very much for your help. i had about 40 chicks this season, it was a great year, but it happens i guess.