Paired Ringneck Not liking each other?

Moderator: Mods

Chee_dog

Paired Ringneck Not liking each other?

Post by Chee_dog »

My dad is pretty new to indian ringneck but recently he has been complaining about the two indian ringneck we recently got. Both are about 2-3 years old. I believe they are male and female because one has a red ring around its neck and the other is just all yellow, yes they are lutino. My dad wants to breed them and he keeps telling me that they birds don't like it each because they never stay close to each other. One is always on the other side of the perch. Is this normal?
Jay

Post by Jay »

It's almost the end of the breeding season. If they were set-up only fairly recently, then chances are they will not bond and breed for you this year. You'll have to wait until the next breeding season which starts in December.

Hens dictate the breeding and usually dominate the cage. Had she not liked the male you gave her, she would have killed him by now. That's how vicious hens can be. But since she sort of tolerates his presence, then they stand a very good chance of breeding for you this coming season.

Just be patient and goodluck.
Chee_dog

Post by Chee_dog »

even in minnesota, its spring right now?
Jay

Post by Jay »

The breeding season in the American East Coast generally starts around December. It is now April so your breeding window is probably already closed.