Babies Bellies Look Funny????

Moderator: Mods

Peachykeen

Babies Bellies Look Funny????

Post by Peachykeen »

I took the babies out today to clean the nestbox again. I noticed that the babies bellies were very bulbous- it looks not right.

Someone please look at these pictures who knows what 8-10 day old babies bellies are suppose to look like and let me know please.

The second picture shows one of the babies when it toppled over- top-right- you can see how far the belly is bulging from the body. Way past the crop.
Suzanne- NC- USA
Donna

Post by Donna »

The photos are really to dark for me to see the bellies but they are normally larger then the crop. I also noticed that they have blue spots on the crop are you hand feeding them yet? You may have your formula to hot and this could cause crop burn. the temp of the formula should be 105 to 107 degrees nothing hotter. Are they pooping alot? that would be a good sign that tells you their digestive system is working properly. Just remember to keep the babies warm and humidity high so they don't get sour crop or slow crop.

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
Peachykeen

Post by Peachykeen »

That was still in there from the momma. That was a pellet I reckon. I decided to go ahead and keep them out because the nestbox was just fifthly. They are pooping a lot.

They have had three feedings today and are pooping good- I am going to have to change the bedding already. The poops are nice and solid. The crops seem to be emptying well. The crops are saggy when they are empty. I wonder if mom was an over achiever...lol They look like they need a support bra. heheh

Over all they look good. I was just wondering about that big golf ball of a belly they balance on...lol

I tried to look at Jays pics but they were hiding their little tummy's.
Suzanne- NC- USA
Jay

Post by Jay »

The bellys always look weird on baby IRNs but that's normal. As they age, they will retract and start looking more like their parent's bellys.

The dark material in the crops are the dark foods fed by their parents... possibly veggies.