New Hatchling Eye Color Question

Moderator: Mods

Peachykeen

New Hatchling Eye Color Question

Post by Peachykeen »

Checking things out this morning- I noticed that one of the hatchlings have a red eye bubble if you will and the other two babies have black?

Could this mean that the baby that was born with the red be some sort of ino or is it way to early to tell?? OR worse... could the baby be blind or something like that?

Here is a picture.

Suzanne- NC- USA
Donna

Post by Donna »

Peachy I think in a couple of days the eyes will turn black it could be it was the last one hatched and I see you have another one pipping, has it made it out yet?

I would get some sort of bedding in there Aspen wood shavings is best. These babies are sitting in their poo and that's not good for them. The female probably won't kick it out if she has babies on it.

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
Peachykeen

Post by Peachykeen »

I have not looked back in on the baby. I saw that it was coming out at 9:30 am here and I went back at 10:00 and it was not out yet. I am a bit nervous- but there was big outburst of squawking them room a while ago and usually when they do that a baby has hatched. I know that sounds weird.

Let me ask you this ... the nestboxes are inside the cage as you know and I really can't get at the back well enough to put anything in. I can take pictures threw the bars and see that they are ok- but when I was refilling her nest box before it was through the front hole.

IF I did it this way now- what do you think would happen. My husband and I were talking about just taking the babies now. But it has only been 4 days and I was kind hoping we could at least make it to the 7 day mark. I don't know Donna- WHAT SHOULD I DO.

I have my brooder ready- it has been set up for a week and temp is perfect and humidity. I have my formula and everything. I am even prepared to do the feedings. I just want to give mom a chance since she is doing good with them. BUT I worry about putting the material in through the front door being I can't get to the babies at all without taking the nest box down completely and then putting it back up and I would just flip out if I did something at this point that would cause her to think I was going to hurt the babies and force her to try and move them like what happened with the other female. You know????

What do you think??
Suzanne- NC- USA
Jay

Post by Jay »

What color is the father and mother? If the mother is NOT a Lutino, Albino, Creamino, Lacewing or Cinnamon, then that red-eyed baby is definitely a female.

I agree with Donna. Put some wood shavings under those babies as soon as the last bird has fully-hatched. Put a layer about two inches thick, compress it and make an indentation in the spot where you will place the clutch.

Nesting material absorbs feces, provides cushioning and promotes healthy formation of the body structure.
Peachykeen

Post by Peachykeen »

What is the max time you should give for a baby to hatch. IT has not hatched. She was opening the back sliding door to the nest box- (webcam) - and I went to look and see what was going on.

I am about ready to just pull them
Suzanne- NC- USA
Jay

Post by Jay »

For healthier babies, they need to be fed by their parents at least a week to acquire the necessary antibodies... kinda like humans with breastfeeding.

Can you take go inside the flight cage and install the nesting material when the hen is outside the nest? I would recommend doing it if you are able. But after you leave the flight, observe the hen to make sure she goes inside the nest to care for the babies.
Last edited by Jay on Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Donna

Post by Donna »

The baby should be completely out in 1 or 2 hours after pipping. With your situation with the nest boxes being inside the cage it would be very difficult to put a danp cloth over the box to get more humidity in there. But I would try to raise the humidity in the room.

I would also chance it by taking the box out and putting the bedding in it and then returning it to the cage. You have a web cam on them so you can pretty much keep a good eye on them to see if every thing is going to be ok.

I was going to mention the eye thing may be female but that was something I just read and didn't know it to be true until do prazer said something about it and I trust his word.

Donna
In Loving Memory

I miss you both
Peachykeen

Post by Peachykeen »

OK.. GOOD NEWS.

I was scared so I put a pillow in there under the nestbox in case we had a momma that wanted to evacuate. I peek through the glass on the door into the room and she has thrown egg shell out. There were no egg shell in the box except the egg that the baby was in. SO BABY IS OUT! YEAH!!!!!!!!

I am going to wait until tomorrow to put in some bedding. I think I have messed enough in there today and don't want to make her nervous of me.

She is pretty calm in the morning and very receptive of me looking when I give them food. It has not bothered her yesterday or today- but I have been hovering and even played with my grey a bit while she was out stretching her legs.. so she has seen enough of me today I think.

No one has said anything about just putting the bedding through the hole so I don't have to take the box down. How bad would this be.

Donna I have to say I am very scared to take the box down. I know I have the cam and I do have the pillow under the nest box to catch anything that gets tossed out. Have you ever done some this invasive and had a mommy be ok with it? I am just asking hoping that there is some previous good result and I gotta chance- cause like Jay or you said- it would be best to leave them in there with her at least for the 7 days. I was hoping for the full 10-14 days. But we are no where near that.

THANK YOU Donna and Jay for helping me through this and giving me advise and suggestions. I am watching the post faithfully for any responses- that is how thankful I am. Thank you again and Happy Resurrection Day! other wise know and EASTER!! :D

Keep talking because I am listening!
Suzanne- NC- USA
Jay

Post by Jay »

For parent-raised chicks, I've replaced nesting material once or twice because they acculate filth. I think Nil had mentioned this also on his birds on one of his posts.

When I replace the nesting material, I take the chicks out and put them in a temporary box. The hen would dive back in the nest after a short while when she thinks I'm done with room service. :lol:
Oliver and Justin

Post by Oliver and Justin »

oh wow!

this is exciting hearing about hte new born babys

i hope to breed some sort of animal in my life time

:D
-Justin
Peachykeen

[b] THE PARENT OF THE RED EYE[/b]

Post by Peachykeen »

The parent of the red eye is a green female and a Turq male. I do not know about splits. But visible that is what they are.

We got excited for a minute and though maybe we could get a yellow baby from way back in the gene pool. I have wanted a Lutino SOOO BAD. Yellow is my favorite color and I have had the hardest time finding a pair around where I am.

I have someone I know who has a pair but looking to sell right now and I just don't have the money right this moment.

I am going to change the material in the morning. Should I let her watch me do everything or take them out of the room and then bring every body back? I know that my be a stupid question but if she can watch me the whole time- it might make her feel better??? ANY THOUGHTS :)
[/b]
Suzanne- NC- USA
Jay

Re: [b] THE PARENT OF THE RED EYE[/b]

Post by Jay »

Peachykeen wrote:The parent of the red eye is a green female and a Turq male. I do not know about splits. But visible that is what they are.

With a Green mother, the red-eyed baby is surely a female. Do you have pics of the parents?

If the eyes remain jelly-red in color and not turn into dark red, then the father is split to Lutino and you will have a Lutino baby hen. If the mother is split to Blue, then your red-eyed baby can be a Creamino, Albino, or Lutino and you will also have Turquoise, Blue, and Green male and female babies. If you only produce Greens and Yellows, then the hen is not split Blue.

If the baby hen's eyes turn dark red, she will be a Lacewing as the father would then be split to Lacewing rather.

I would put nesting material in front of the mother so that as soon as you leave, she can just dive back in instead of searching for a missing nestbox-full of babies which would be more traumatic for her I imagine.
Peachykeen

Pictures of the Parents

Post by Peachykeen »

Here are pictures of the parents:

Dad1
[img]http://www.designs2remember.com/Turqdad1.jpg
[/img]

Dad2
[img]http://www.designs2remember.com/Turqdad2.jpg
[/img]

Mom

I don't know if these images are going to work they would not let me preview- but you can copy the link if not :)
Suzanne- NC- USA
Jay

Post by Jay »

The male is either a Turquoise or TurquoiseBlue. Does the original breeder know the parents of these birds or the colors of babies they have produced in the past?

In three weeks, the feathers will come out. This is probably the most exciting moment for an IRN color breeder.
Peachykeen

Post by Peachykeen »

:( I wish he did -but no. He kept about 50+ birds in a room of a converted single wide trailer. They had about the space of 12x10x10 feet. There were about 25 nest boxes lined all around the top of the room side by side.

There is no way in that environment that I could imagine that anyone could tell who was with who except for the momma birds that were in the box and then if you didn't take the time to tag everyone and who they came from once you pulled all the babies- who knows who came from where.

I did ask if he knew if any of them had bred and he didn't when we bought them. He is a good man but I think his space was limited and it worked for him. I have no idea what the death ratio was for adult birds but no one looked mangled- surprising after what happen to my Jackie. :(

P.S if anyone was wonder where I got the notion that it would be ok to put a few pairs together in that huge cage... thats where.
Suzanne- NC- USA
Peachykeen

Gort Bedding Changed

Post by Peachykeen »

Well, I have to say that I don't think I have been that nervous in a long time. I love these babies so much that I was just SICK to go in there and put that bedding in- BUT it needed to be done BECAUSE I love them.

So here is a picture of my "girly meat" hehe and the new baby. WOW what a difference.

She handled the initial removal of the nest box VERY WELL. However, when we put the box back in she was not happy about the materials. She did start throwing it out and had me concerned. She having a hard time deciding how to get into the box. I should have put them over in the corner. I think she was having a hard time getting in without almost stepping on them. I think she has them moved around now because the dad got in too. I am too short and the nestboxes are so high- I won't be able to check on them much more. The nesting material makes it to where I can't peek through the bottom inspection door but thats ok. I got me a picture to look at for the next week!

Suzanne- NC- USA
Bella

Post by Bella »

Oh my gosh they are just too cute :D id love a little baby. There is a big difference of size amazing from just a couple of days
Mum to Harvey(little boy) Satan RIP, Missy moos(Staffy bull) Billy(green irn) Sir didymus(grey irn) and Isis(cockatiel), Lucy (caique)
Peachykeen

Post by Peachykeen »

Notice that girlfriend has that mouth open already...lol

Such a girl- she was probably bossing somebody around- Ummmmm let em take a guess....ME. Like hey you there- do you mind putting us back in the house- it is cold out here.

I put the towel in the dryer so that it would be nice and warm. I was going to put them in the basket thinging I bought for when I feed them so they don't wiggle all over- but I was afraid they would get cold and I figured this would be better for their little feety.

I am a WaY proud birdy Grandma. I am making a page with all their pictures on it for when we pull them and can take pictures EVERYDAY... They will feel like I am the paparazzi before it is all over.
Suzanne- NC- USA
Donna

Post by Donna »

Hey proud grandma!! They are looking good. :D

What I do for my babies is they each get a three ring notebook of information and articils on how to feed, house, and basic care of the baby bird, I put in a hatch certificate and there daily growth sheet. Then I get small photo albums and take pics of the baby as they grow. This is what goes to the new owners of my babies and my customers just love it.

Good luck!!

Donna
In Loving Memory

I miss you both
Peachykeen

Post by Peachykeen »

Those are BEAUTIFUL~
Suzanne- NC- USA
Peachykeen

Post by Peachykeen »

When I looked at the babies yesterday- I notice that the nails of the redeye are clear where the other birds have dark nails- you can even see the cute little nails on the one day old.

Are we definitely looking at a possible ino with the clear nails and if it is and ino- will it still be definitely female??

I am trying to learn my genetics- but it is got a good learning curve..lol
Suzanne- NC- USA
Jay

Post by Jay »

Albinism (Ino) birds such as Lutinos, Creaminos, and Albinos will have clear toenails and you won't see any dark spots on their beaks unlike with Blue, Green, and Turquoise birds.

This is because Ino birds only produce a very very minimal amount of melanin (black pigment) and almost none of that end up in the feathers.

Your red-eyed baby is a female guaranteed 100%. Gender determination using parent's genetics is even more accurate than DNA testing, which is not 100% accurate.
Peachykeen

Post by Peachykeen »

Jay, I know most of your knowledge comes from probably years of experience and studying. I am trying to learn about how things work and I was wondering of there were a few sites that you would recommend that would be a good comprehensive place to start with learning about genetics??

Thanks!
Suzanne- NC- USA
Jay

Post by Jay »

Peachykeen wrote:Jay, I know most of your knowledge comes from probably years of experience and studying. I am trying to learn about how things work and I was wondering of there were a few sites that you would recommend that would be a good comprehensive place to start with learning about genetics??

There are several websites out there but the best ones that I've come across are the following:

Clive Hesford's Website
http://www.birdhobbyist.com/parrotcolour/

Deon Smith's Website
http://www.sunbird1.co.za/

Anthony Olszewski's Article on Genetics
http://www.petcraft.com/docs/avgen.shtml

Zahir Rana's Psittacula World
http://home.wanadoo.nl/psittaculaworld/PsittaculaWorld.htm

MUTAVI's Avian Genetics Website
http://www.mutavi.info/

Terry Martin's Genetics-Psittacine YahooGroup
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/Genetics-Psittacine/

Terry Martin's Parrot Genetics Book
http://www.avianpublications.com/items/breeding/item888-P.htm
Peachykeen

Post by Peachykeen »

Thank you Jay! I will look through these. :idea:
Suzanne- NC- USA
ryelle

Post by ryelle »

peachykeen, if you can, can you show us photos of the babies at different stages and ages? if its not too much trouble. iv never seen baby parrots growing up before, and im intrigued. never even owned a bird before Spit. rescued a baby starling years ago, but it didnt last long :( fell over in the garden while my mam had it on the grass and it broke its leg, about three weeks after we got it. was just growing its feathers and turning into a fatty too :(
Peachykeen

Post by Peachykeen »

I sure would be happy too. I have never seen the growing stages either.

I have a baby book online where when I take pictures I add them.

http://www.designs2remember.com/BabyBook2008.html

Thank you for asking because I love taking pictures!
Suzanne- NC- USA
Jay

Post by Jay »

ryelle wrote:peachykeen, if you can, can you show us photos of the babies at different stages and ages? if its not too much trouble. iv never seen baby parrots growing up before, and im intrigued. never even owned a bird before Spit. rescued a baby starling years ago, but it didnt last long :( fell over in the garden while my mam had it on the grass and it broke its leg, about three weeks after we got it. was just growing its feathers and turning into a fatty too :(

Here's a link to pictures of some of my babies from last year. You'll see some semblance of a progression from day-old to weaning.

http://www.indianringneck.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=4079
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

depois do prazer, there is only one word I can use to describe those bubs.....STUNNING!!!!!. Wow they are unbelievable. How did you ever part with them?? lol

:)
Peachykeen

Post by Peachykeen »

Gosh I know right- It must be hard but I guess if you kept all of them.. where would the people sleep..lol
Suzanne- NC- USA
Jay

Post by Jay »

Haha. I wish I can keep 'em all but space is very limited. I don't have much problem selling the few that I breed as the mutations that I breed are popular among breeders and pet keepers alike.
ryelle

Post by ryelle »

OMG!! i cant believe how tiny they are!!! i thought theyd be a lot bigger than that.
depois, i showed my boyfriend your photos, which are amazing too, and he couldnt believe how quick they grow in their feathers. its so cute that you can see what colour they are so soon and that theyve got stubby little feathers all over. hehehee all the babies are so gorgeous in both your photos!

i want one :D well.. maybe lots and lots ^_^
Peachykeen

Post by Peachykeen »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eREzrku6mo0

This is cute-Babies cleaning feathers that aren't there.
Suzanne- NC- USA