what age must have the pairs?

Moderator: Mods

nil

what age must have the pairs?

Post by nil »

i have put together 2 years now a 16 yo male with a female 5 yo.
they havent good relationship and no breeding good so i think to change the pairs.
To give a other female to male and a other male to female.
How many years old must are the other birds? how are the maximun average?
Do you know someone?
Jay

Post by Jay »

Give your hen a mate at least 3 years of age, preferably proven.

As for your male, find him a hen at least 2 years old by the time breeding season comes around. A proven hen is always a plus.

I don't think there's a maximum age. IRNs are known to breed shortly before they die of old age at around 30 years of age. My friend who has been breeding IRNs since 1964 claims that as a fact.

I have a 12 year old hen who lays about 8 eggs every season and she produces healthy babies. That's the only experience I can share as far as maximum breeding age of IRNs.
nil

Post by nil »

thank you jay
the difference of age between male and female in a pair isnt critical?
can my 16 years old male mate with a 3 yo female?
i suspected that this was the problem for my pair, the big difference 16 yo the male and 5 yo the female
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

From what I understand the huge age difference shouldn't really matter. I have heard of people pairing up old and young birds ogether with success. I think that maybe they were not compatible. If you have other birds, I would try swapping partners and see if that makes a difference.
There is conflict information about IRN pairs. Some people say they don't bond for life or form a strong bond and can change partners to suit colour combinations, others say their birds formed a stong bond and don't like to swap.

:)
Jay

Post by Jay »

Pinkdevil is right in my opinion. The age gap shouldn't make much of a difference.

Each IRN has their own distinct personality that makes them a little bit less predictable than other parrots. For example, some may bond with a mate but most won't. Some birds pair up easy one season but will appear finicky the next.

If there is anything predictable about IRNs, it is the fact that they almost always maintain their reputation as freebreeders. They are not too chosey with mates even when paired impromptu midway during breeding season.
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Thats for sure depois do prazer. Late last year I bought a blue female for my blue male IRN. The breeder I bought her from said she is ready to go, and she was lol. As soon as I put her with the male she was bowing down and giving him the big comeon :wink: but I think he was a "first timer" and a bit young as he wasn't sure what to make of her advances lol. But now it is a different story!! He is doing the chasing and she is like, yeah whatever :roll: lol I hope they can get their act together for this seaon lol

:)
nil

Post by nil »

Pinkdevil is right in my opinion. The age gap shouldn't make much of a difference.

this is good for me, because its difficult to find a new old female for my male.
now i have 4 pairs and 3 young.
I had a pair, that was excellent, every year produced healthy babies but unfortunately the male died before 2 years (20 yo) and mate the female with another male.
Last year layed 5 eggs and produced 3 babies but until now havent any egg, their age is about 20 yo.
my second pair hadnt ever good results, they also about 20 yo, this year layed 5 eggs but no any bird, i take the eggs and maybe lay others, i am waiting.
my third pair ( 16yo the male, 5 the female ) has 3 eggs but i am not sure for the results because they hadnt good relationship, this is the pair that i mention before.
and the fourth pare ( 5 and 5 yo) layed last year 5 eggs with a baby - lazaros, now they have 3 eggs, i wait something good from they
but the male last months is a plucker and i am not sure for the results.
As you see the situation isnt good.
I am thinking to buy 2 new females, but this is enough complicated because i cant find females here.
the females i have are from holland and i think i must import ( via plane) the 2 females from holland again.
as i conclude the consequential in a pair is the personality of birds, like human.
there are good parents and not good , there are good couples and divorses too, the same for the birds too.