Egg hatching

Moderator: Mods

Veetee03

Egg hatching

Post by Veetee03 »

So my Indian ring neck has bred roughly 21 days ago and the eggs are now turning half brown (they started off white) and now they appear to be having brown dots around the egg. She was meant to be due to hatch those eggs by now but they still haven't hatched. She's been incubating on her eggs in the nesting box everyday and has taken very good care of her eggs. I'm just scared that the eggs won't hatch, please let me know.
rick_s0910

Re: Egg hatching

Post by rick_s0910 »

Hello. I honestly stopped breeding IRNs 7 yrs ago so I'm a lil rusty. Incubation takes about 23 days. Starts after 1st or 2nd egg is laid. Are you using a light to see through the egg (Candle it)? If it's half brown, down the middle, it might be dry. Might be un-fertilized. If you're not 100% sure, don't pull the eggs until after around 27-30 days. Keep in mind that ringnecks don't always get it right the first time, or the 2nd, or 3rd. It's usually the male that's not experienced. I really hope I'm wrong and everything turns out good. Un hatched eggs and losing babies due to weakness or even the parents not feeding or just plain killing them is part of the risks of breeding. Don't give up on them. Once they get it right, you'll be hooked, assuming you aren't alreday.