Male chasing female problem

Moderator: Mods

Zebra

Male chasing female problem

Post by Zebra »

Hi, I have one pair, they've been together for 3 years and always got along well. They had their first baby (only one egg), everything seemed fine - female sitting on egg, feeding baby, later both sleeping in the box with the baby... until now. The baby is out of the nest and the male seems to protect the baby a lot from us and even the female. He chases her away, doesn't want her to eat,.... She has some feathers missing - on her cheeks and head. I thought she might be molting but I'm not sure now :|
Is this normal? What can I do?
Babsi

Re: Male chasing female problem

Post by Babsi »

Food guarding by the male can lead to starvation of his mate. If the juvenile is weaned, then remove the kid. If he isnt weaned and drinking water, then remove the female as long as the father is still feeding him. If the father is keeping both the offspring and the mother fromthe food and water, then remove the father.
%%- Happily sharing my life with Ronan, my new blue, male ringneck %%-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpgS0tqOMMk
Zebra

Post by Zebra »

Thank you for the answer. Sorry, couldn't get here sooner.
The ringnecks are fine now, they worked it out and are ok all 3 together. Eating, sleeping and everything :)
Wessel Gordon

Post by Wessel Gordon »

Zebra,

I'm glad the issue is sorted out but just a word of warning: when the next breeding season start the father might get extremely territorial towards the juvenile which would force you to remove the juvenile.

I am not saying this WILL happen but it's a possibility you will have to watch out for.
Zebra

Post by Zebra »

Thank you. I know. I will not breed them till the young one is out of the aviary, I have removed the breeding box.
Zebra

Post by Zebra »

Hi, my family of ringnecks is still fine and happy.
But I didn't manage to rehome the baby yet :cry: I think I would have more chance once I can tell the gender for sure. So I would like to ask if they might be ok all 3 together, if I don't give them the nesting box this year? Does anyone here keep more ringnecks in one aviary - not breeding? Would the couple be aggressive towards the baby anyway? I will watch them and remove baby if there is a problem of course...
I've search the internet but can't find the right answer :(

Thank you

Btw. They now have both indoor and outdoor aviary, so I think they have some space...