Dont want to breed

Moderator: Mods

Aldeleen

Dont want to breed

Post by Aldeleen »

HI everyone! I dont usualy check this forum topic but i was wondering-- ive got my two fids and the one is 16month-- probably male and then i have a female which i think is also about 16-18 months...

The male-- Piko is my darling child and Lily the new commer is so cute! They stay in seperate cages and dont interact at all at this stage-- Piko is still very territorial and ive only had Lily for a month now--

So, now, in future-- both of my fids are going to mature and im sure that breeding season will start --- I dont intend to breed with the two and i would like them to stay the way they are-- meaning with the relationships towards humans...

What must i do so that they dont mate?
Ive heard that when birds become breeding pairs they loose i intrest in the human relationship sides--- i dont want that to happen-- is this what happens ? I dont know?

My intention is not to keep them seperated at all, just dont want to breed with them, also dont have the space ????

Just want the best for my fids and if breeding them is then i will make a plan in future but id prefer to keep them human related?
Donna

Post by Donna »

What you do when they do become sexually mature is separate them don't give them any thing that could be used as nest material such as boxes, shredded newspapers, reduce their natural light by putting them to bed in a dark room earlier then normal. As long as you don't stimulate their breeding behavior they will just be cranky for a few months until the hormons settle down. Some hens may lay an egg or 2 but if the male has not be with her there is no worry of chicks. Let her sit the eggs until she gets tired of them.

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both