Could anyone help???

Moderator: Mods

Dudley Dude

Could anyone help???

Post by Dudley Dude »

Hi all,

Im hand raising a ringneck, 'he' is 7 weeks old....Ive had him since he was 3 weeks old (long story, its not something id planned ondoing!!)

Anyway hes doing so well, he looks amazing and is the sweetest lil guy ever.

The trouble is he's ready for weaning but wont eat...he stopped eating to take his 1st flight and hes flying really well now but still wont eat!!!

Ive tried everything!!! Now he just screams all day and I just dont know what to do with him :cry:

The only thing he will take a bit of is pellets but ive to mush them in water and even then hes only taking very small amounts :?

The noise is unbelieveable....poor bubs hes deafening us :lol:

Thanks for reading :)
Gemstone

Post by Gemstone »

at 7 weeks their beaks are still quite soft, so the pallets might be too hard.

go get some millet spray, and have it everywhere he is.
i started keeping millet with my 3 babies from 5 weeks, now at 6 weeks they are eating it.

i have never weaned onto pallets so maybe someone else can give you advice there, but i think watering them down to sofen them up is a good idea.

hope this help

Adam
Adam and Dude
Donna

Post by Donna »

Some babies wean slower then others. Keep hand feeding 2 to 3 times a day until he refuses them. The screaming will stop if he has his belly full. Also you can try soaking his pellets in apple juice this might jump start him eating on his own but never refuse to feed him his formula if he wants it. Force weaning could produce problems later in life.

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
Dudley Dude

Post by Dudley Dude »

Thanks guys

Ill try those tips out .
The pellets Im giving him are soaked i warm water so theyre really soft and mushy just like formula really.

I still offer him his food regularly but he just aint interested, but tonight he ate really well thank god!!!

This is him...

Thanks again
nil

Post by nil »

dont stop handfeeding him, until begin to eat enough.
is too dangerous for bird if he dont feed enough to have serious problems with his health and life.
now the bird is at weaning stage and it is common to refuse to take food from you. You must handfeeding him at least 2 times a day ( with 10-12 ml handfeeding formula), it is preferable the first meal at 10-11 am and the second at late of the day or early night.
Except handfeeding, you must provide all day food and water in his cage.
for that use millet spray, peanuts, budgerigar food and fruits and vegetables. i found that fresh corn on cob is the better food for the weaning stage.
Dudley Dude

Post by Dudley Dude »

Thanks again all

Hes begun to eat some corn today!!!
I ll still continue to offer him the hand feeds too. :D
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

corn kernels and peas, push the centers out of the outer husks and give that to him, feed him it from your fingers. Soaked seed is great and soaked milk arrowroot biscuit, also as mentioned the millet spray. Sometimes it takes you picking at it with your fingers (like you are eating it) and offering it to him to make him realise what you want him to do.

What a beautiful baby you have by the way :D
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

greeny

Post by greeny »

What an adorable little one he is. Glad he is eating better now and less screaming. Poor thing, he must be going through a tough time.