help urgent please !!!!

Moderator: Mods

tassie

help urgent please !!!!

Post by tassie »

:cry: i am not having luck with ring neck babies 3 have died out of a clutch and have one pore sole left and i dont know if i can help this little bugger. I has a sore on its toe and is starting to swell and i think infection will be the end of it to.
does anyone know what i can do for it ???
they are new parents last cluch died as well wodering if it would be the father killing them??
plaese help anyone that has experience
julie

Post by julie »

are you able to pull the baby out and raise it yourself?
tassie

Post by tassie »

no I dont have a brooder I have only hand raised before from 3 weeks used hot water cupboard as the were a bit older this one is three days tops have been suplementing with vet farm handrearing mix but I think the infection will kill it is there any thing i can put on its foot?
julie

Post by julie »

Until you can get it to a vet, maybe try a mild salt water wash.
tassie

Post by tassie »

thankyou will do first thing in morning hope it is still alive
Jay

Post by Jay »

How old were the chicks when they died? Were there any wounds like they were attacked or perhaps just neglected to be fed?
nil

Post by nil »

are the babies feeding by his parrents?
maybe died from starvation, it is common in new parrents.
if father kill babies ( very rare) it must be found blood. do you?

Look if baby had eat, if dont iimmediately begin handfeeding.

the temperature is ok?

good luck
tassie

Post by tassie »

thank you think they were not being feed i toped it up yesterday and went back to check in evening and had food in crop so maybe they got the hang of it .
i am put in its foot in mild salt water the baby had been bitten or scratched
on its toe little bit of blood on it and its a bit red looks slightly swollen im glad it suvived the night last night its so cold and windy here at the moment almost like winter all that i can hope is it lasts till 3 weeks so i can pull it out and handrear it.

another Question sorry the baby is to young to tell what coulor it is but one of the babies tha died had very black claws which I asume would have been green the other three including the one that is a live have lighter grey claws could these be mutations parents are green cock lutino hen.
thankyou once again for the help!!!!!
julie

Post by julie »

Try to make sure food is available for the parents through out the day. I was taking seed, corn off the cob and fruit and veg into them twice a day.They go through a fair bit of food to feed the babies and themselves.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Sorry to hear you're not having much luck. :(

tassie wrote:another Question sorry the baby is to young to tell what coulor it is but one of the babies tha died had very black claws which I asume would have been green the other three including the one that is a live have lighter grey claws could these be mutations parents are green cock lutino hen.
thankyou once again for the help!!!!!

A green male and a lutino hen, if they are not split for any mutations, will have green males split for lutino and plain old green females split for nothing. It's pretty hard to find an IRN that isn't split for something, though. If your male were split for ino, which is fairly common, then you would expect 25% lutino males, 25% green males split for lutino, 25% lutino females and 25% green females.

Jim
October is National Tagline Awareness Month
Jay

Post by Jay »

tassie wrote:another Question sorry the baby is to young to tell what coulor it is but one of the babies tha died had very black claws which I asume would have been green the other three including the one that is a live have lighter grey claws could these be mutations parents are green cock lutino hen.

Light colored nails on some of the babies means that the father is split to one of the following mutations:

If the light toe-nailed babies have jelly-red eyes, then father is split Lutino. If dark-red, then father is split Pallid or Cinnamon.

These recessive mutations also cause light-colored nails with Black eyes but both parents has to carry the splits:

Cleartail
Pied
Clearhead_Fallow (dark-red eyes)
Bronze_Fallow (dark-red eyes)
Dilutes
tassie

Post by tassie »

:cry: thanks for your help the little on passed away
I have another lutino hen that it fathered by the same cock so hopefully i have luck from her she has three eggs layed just over a week ago I dont know how she will go feeding them though because the cock doesnt feed her. she only leaves the eggs long enough to eat a bit and goes back in.
Clare

Post by Clare »

I haven't bred before so I don't know, but can you put food in with her and the eggs easily so she doesn't have to come out?
julie

Post by julie »

have you got two hens in with the same cock?
tassie

Post by tassie »

originally i started off with two pairs lutino hens and green cocks one of the hens died so replaced with another lutino hen but she didnt bond with her mate and decided she liked the cock that was already paired up and he decided to mate with both the hens.
i:?
I also have a skyblue hen and olive gold cock but the cock is more intrested in the green cock bird
Fah

Post by Fah »

From the sounds of it.. you have them all in the one aviary?

If so... it could be your problem. I have not known a single person to successfully breed colony indian ring necks in decent aviaries.

Birds dont die or have problems due to bad luck. It is due to something being wrong.

There are key things to remember when breeding IRN's.

Food.
Water.
Space.

Each pair of Indians with go through far greater quantities of food and water with young. Lots of food and lacking water = hungy bubs. Lots of water and lacking food = hungry bubs. Two viable breeding pairs... or even three viable breeding birds in one aviary = dangerous. An agressive male (due to infighting etc) can quite easily have a small go at a cheeky baby... leading towards serious problems.

Here is a comparison. Myself and a friend breed Indians. I fed mine plenty of fruit and veg, seed and constantly topped up their water. Each had their own space. Out of three pairs... I had 12 eggs.. and only one was infertile (to a two year old.. first time pair).

My friend had long proven breeders. Made the mistake of feeding only seed and water, had 3 eggs, two infertile and a baby with splayed legs.

Have any photos of your setup? Sometimes even a simply tweak here and there can make a world of difference.
tassie

Post by tassie »

sorry I dont have any photo's originally I was given the birds by my pop as he is to sick to care for them.
he gave me the two pairs green cocks and lutino hens and large avairy which has two sections one had cockateils and kakarikis I have sold and given away the cockateils and only have a pair of kakarikis and five Quail in this section no problems with with kaks.
every morning I take corn on the cob apple silverbeet some cooked veg such as carrot and pasta etc in variety also provide mineral and calcium blocks cuttle fish and shell grit.
the breeder who came and brought some of my kak babies comlplimented how well the aviary is built.
he sold me the sky blue hen and olive cock he didnt say that it wasnt a good idea.
I now have three babies a week old and look great. I am looking for another aviary though but have been unsuccesful