Are these eggs ok?

Moderator: Mods

julie

Are these eggs ok?

Post by julie »

I was starting to think the remaining 3 eggs are not going to hatch, so I took some pics to see what everyone else thinks.

[/img]http://media4.dropshots.com/photos/60363/20070918/012010.jpg
Donna

Post by Donna »

Julie how old are the eggs? They look clear to me. If they were due to hatch they would be darker and your air sac would be larger with a tilt.
JMO I would say not fetile.

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
Fah

Post by Fah »

If they are any older than 2 weeks I would say infertile sorry :( After about a week of incubation you should start to see a change / blood lines through the egg.

If one has hatched already from that same clutch, I would guess those were never able to hatch in the first place.

First time breeding with that pair? Or are they young birds? Would not be worried if that was the case.

If they are well proven breeders it could just have been one of the pair being a little ill at the time.

The fact you got one is a good sign :D
julie

Post by julie »

18th aug there was two eggs and by the 24 there was 4. One of the eggs is really light and the other two are heavier.ahh well if they are not good aaron can feed them to monty. Im not sure if you can see it but in the second pic there is a darker area, but it doesnt look like it has developed much.
Jay

Post by Jay »

Julie,

I also think those eggs are clear. Here are more pictures of what you might see during candling...

CLEAR EGG

FERTILIZED EGG AFTER A FEW DAYS

FERTILIZED EGG A FEW DAYS BEFORE HATCHING

Some fertilized eggs may not develop properly and the chick will die, AKA Dead-In-Shell or DIS. Main causes are bacterial penetration of the egg shell membrane due perhaps to egg shell porosity.

Hope that helps.
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Thank you Jay , I think that will be a great help to Julie and alot of others including myself.
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

julie

Post by julie »

Thanks, i had no idea what I was supposed to be looking for. do you think she may lay more if I take the bad eggs out?
Donna

Post by Donna »

Julie she probably won't lay any more as long as you have live babies in the nest. It's usually after you pull the babies she would lay more but chances are since the last 2 were clear the second clutch will be. Is this a young breeder pair? My ringnecks are not good double clutchers at all.

Donna
In Loving Memory

I miss you both
Donna

Post by Donna »

http://animalscience.ucdavis.edu/resear ... ot/d/d.htm

This is a very good veiw of a developing egg.

Donna
In Loving Memory

I miss you both
julie

Post by julie »

There is one pic that it looks like there is a chic in the egg but for some reason when I post it on the board it doesnt show up very well after going to dropshots.
The hen is 4yrs and the cock is 5yrs and have been successful before.
Jay

Post by Jay »

I suspect the first eggs were the clear ones and the last egg was the fertile egg. If an IRN mating is successful, sperm is deposited on the hen's spermatic fossa (sperm storage glands) and could be viable to fertilize ova for a few days. Since they are a proven pair, the first few clear eggs was probably due to the birds not being in-synch, male not quite ready, disturbances, etc.

I would leave the eggs in there until after the baby is hefty enough... perhaps 2 weeks old. The eggs will provide extra source of heat when the mother is away and also serves as barrier from being trampled on. You will notice the lone chick will cuddle up to the eggs.

Pulling the chick for handfeeding, preferably between 2nd and 3rd week, would give your pair a chance at double-clutching.
julie

Post by julie »

I did notice the chic was cuddled up to the other eggs :shock: the baby is always right up against them too.I have left them all in there, but I have a feeling that they may not be any good.