Ex Pet v's True Breeder.

Moderator: Mods

Fah

Ex Pet v's True Breeder.

Post by Fah »

Heyoop all.

Just curious as to what experience people have with ex pet IRN's as breeders.

I am looking after a pair of birds for a close friend of mine, a creamino hen and a blue possible split ino cock. The creamino was in fact quite the gorgeous girl. A little bighty, a little homicidal ( hence her being placed as a breeder.. killed off other birds around her except those she seems to be entertained / possibly breed with O.o ) though with people quite the chatty little girl.

The boy is quite a shy one, more wild than pet. Though able to sit on arms and hands and take food and flirt then leave.

I would go into the avairy and chat / play with them every two days if not more.. they never changed, never bit, never got spratty. Now however with her first breeding season well into action she has as you would expect... absolutely no fear of people. This has thrown the situation where she charges to maim and destroy all beings approaching either her.. or the nesting box. Making life well... interesting lol

I am not too fussed nor suprised at this behaviour. Seems very natural for me considering her lack of fear / increased aggresive/protective nature. Though I am curious as to when or even if at all she might return to the way she was when not with young.

Suprisingly... the male has not changed much at all... a little more flighty.. though more willing to flirt and chitter esp. when and where food is concerned.

The creamino.. well she wont take bribery atm. Infact.. im sure she believes I should be as far from the avairy as possible lol.

Well.. curious to see what I get from the people around here :D
Donna

Post by Donna »

My personal feelings on this is let your pets be only pets and breeders only breeders. There are some cases that I had to put a pet bird in a breeding program and they did very well but I wouldn't take a breeder out to turn it into a pet. It's much harder to turn a breeder into a pet.

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
Fah

Post by Fah »

Yah. I wouldn't think it very advisable to turn a breeder into a pet.

Though when you get emotionally attached to a bird. That just wont co-habitate with others except a viable partner, it was kind of hard to not make her a breeder. She still gets all the love and attention she needs.

Just hope she goes back to the cheeky flirty girl she was before she bred :P Not my bird but she is still adorable hehe
Gemstone

Post by Gemstone »

we were warned off getting ex-pets as they have no fear of humans and will happily attack when you get close.

both of our hens are breeders, thats it, the yellow cock might have been handreared, but hasn't been played with in aver 2 years, so no problem there.
Adam and Dude
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Put your pet out to breeding then you should just leave them that way. Especially females. I have my pet kai in the birdroom with his wild female mate mickey. It works well, we get them out in the off season, and leave them alone during the breeding season. But Kai still gets to step up and come out to play while mickey is busy with the nest and eggs. He is not AS tame as he use to be but still very much our pet boy. Our interaction has never seemed to interfere with their ability to breed. But I don't think kai will ever be the playful loving pet he once was. We are happy with him stepping up and interacting, but if she calls or we get too close to the nest he definately chooses her over us.

We have Jordan and Pickle as our family pets and thats enough for us.
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

tassie

Post by tassie »

hello I have a IRN lutino joey she was handreard but became to full on for pop and didnt like kids so she got put out to be a breeder and as he got sick he passed on the birds on to me i dont think she likes females.

she is fine if you have food in your hands and if not watch out !!! and when i try to look in the nest she flys at me squarking she is also alot more bossy to the other birds and louder but i still love her i think shes beautiful.