OI!!!! ANGIE!!!

Moderator: Mods

Datsun and Family

OI!!!! ANGIE!!!

Post by Datsun and Family »

How are your eggs? Are Kai and Mickey parents again yet? I want an update!!
-Chamon-

kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Oi Chamon, yeah!

There is alot of movement.. Mickey has been seen out of the box a few times lately, but still no sounds of babies, she shoots back in as soon as I enter the bird room. I could hear her rolling eggs around a few days ago, so I figure if no baby sounds by sunday I will take a look see to find out what is going on. I have to check dates but I think by sunday it is around 28 days so its getting late for hatching. :? :shock: :roll: waiting waiting.

Thanks for askin Chamon
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

kyria
Site Admin

Post by kyria »

woke up this morning opened up the birdroom and kai was looking all proud of himself, talking away to me he flew over to the entrance of the nest box. I asked him, "Do you have babies" and he let out two big proud yells at me, when i listened carefully I could hear baby cheaping !

We have babies .. it's hatch day !!

Welcome little fiddlets. Now to find a time to sneak a peak :D
Angie
---------
-----------
God Bless

Datsun and Family

OH YAY!!! I was starting to worry about them... big kisses for Kai x
-Chamon-

Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Wahoo i was beginning the doubt they would hatch congratulations :wink:
Always thinking of you Beau!

Zack& Joey Were ever you may be!

kyria
Site Admin

Post by kyria »

Thanks .. I was getting a little worried also .. today I can hear a few small squeaks and one louder squeak, and I think I heard mickey moving an egg around, so there maybe one late hatcher. I hope tomorrow to be able to sneak that peak. She was out today again, but is straight back in as soon as I appear, last season she was not so protective, I guess she remembers me as taking the babies last time ?? :(

I hate to take them, but its a must, we cannot have any parent raised birds. Just not practical, no room in the bird room and we still dont have an aviary because I had to get the saab up and running so we have a second car for me to run to interviews and a possible new job soon (over $1000.00 in various small repairs and $300 for re-rego) sigh !
Angie
---------
-----------
God Bless

mattyboardman

Post by mattyboardman »

congrats on the baby's hun ! i had parent raised birds but handled them each day and they are now so tame it is unreal step up / take food from you / kiss you on the lips / make kissing sounds / i have been told one of them is talking but i am unsure as i aint heard it so i was happy with what happened with my birds but next time im gunna give it a go my self on hand rearing them as i have looked it up alot more :D
R.I.P Baby 05 / 09 / 2007 You Will Be Missed !
snowsand

Post by snowsand »

Yay :D! Babies!!! I can't wait to see the "sneaky" pics! I am new around these parts, could you post a pic of Mom and Dad? I'd love to see them :)CONGRATS!!!!
julie

Post by julie »

cool 8) That means mine will be due soon :shock:
kyria
Site Admin

Post by kyria »

Yesterday I noticed mickey out feeding. So I left her for a little while to catch up on food and a stretch. A few hours later she was out again, so I decided to go check on the nest. 3 hatched and 1 egg left, but :( the babies looked lifeless. I left them for a while to let it sink in that the babies may infact be dead, she never went back in. She has abandoned the nest and today I cleaned it out. Replaced the nesting material, had my sob ! and am going through the classic, what did I do wrong. Was it just nature, or did I not provide enough of what was needed.

I guess this is just one of those breeding experiences that is a not so good one.

I guess at least i know, she laid 4 eggs again, and they were fertilized and hatched. Not sure what happened from there.

Any comments on if this is just one of those things that does happen, would be great right now.

I truely hope that they go down again... off to let it all sink in.

Good luck with yours julie.
Angie
---------
-----------
God Bless

julie

Post by julie »

Bugger :cry: sorry for your loss.
Donna

Post by Donna »

Angie sorry to hear about your clutch :( Don't beat yourself up it's just one of those things that make you stop scratch your head and say wtf happen? Unless you have the babies necropsied you will probably never know exactly what happen but I promise, you will be on pins and needles next time. I've had birds necropsied before just to find out I had a perfectly healthy bird die so better luck next time. Big hugs for you!!

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
Datsun and Family

Oh man!! I'm sorry Angie, they are still pretty new to this so probably just something that happens. Hope they go down again. :cry:
-Chamon-

Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Oh no! So sorry sweetie. *Hugs* I guess sometimes it can just 'happen'. :(
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
kyria
Site Admin

Post by kyria »

Thanks guys ... Mickey seems fine, handling it just fine, she is enjoying a spray, good food and some freedom. She seems to be rather glad to be out in a way. Tomorrow I clean out the whole cage completely , fresh start so to speak. I hear mickey beckoning so fingers crossed.

Its just so sad because I know from last year, how prescious it is to hand feed these little darlings, and to me they were future little personalities that just didn't make it. Anyway, God has nature set to deal with things so I will just put it down to that, something wasn't ideal, and this was probably for the best.
Angie
---------
-----------
God Bless

snowsand

Post by snowsand »

Oh Dear! That is sad news. The loss of babies is always so hard. **big hugs** Take care.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

This happens, I lost a baby Bourke, but I was fortunate to still have one. They will most likely go down again just remember keep it quite and don't disturb them most likely they'll have eggs very soon :wink: Its part of being a breeder, u will get used to it as the years go by, and you have more birds having babies

Jay

Post by Jay »

Hey Angie,

First off, sorry for your loss. Although we provide the best possible care for our birds, things like this do happen ... usually beyond our control.

The babies initiate the hatching process by pecking a circular pattern on their shell so you know they were alive upon hatching. The question is did the parents feed them on time? Did you notice if the dead babies' crops were full?

Near hatching time, I provide my parent birds with dark green leafy vegetables such as collard greens and dandelion leaves. Besides being soft and nutritious, the dark color of the veggies allows you to be able to see the food on the crop as the skin on the crop is thin and almost opaque on newly-hatched birds.

If the babies' crops didn't have any food even when they were begging for food (you said you heard some babies chirping), then seems like they died of hunger or dehydration.... When chicks hatch at dusk, they could go as long as 12 hours without any food and water. Sometimes this could be fatal for the birds and there's pretty much nothing you can do about it since you could not control the hatching time.

Lastly, if you're not doing it already, I suggest you start monitoring the eggs when close to hatching time... perhaps as often as daily inspections. The parents will get used to it.
kyria
Site Admin

Post by kyria »

They didn't seem to have anything in their crops,they were so tiny. I did notice mickey coming out a few time and pre hatching (hearing them cheap) Kai was in and out of the nest far more than usual. I had kept up extra food the whole incubation period so that kai had plenty to take into mickey. Alot of greens, plenty of fresh foods twice a day and soaked milk arrowroot biscuit which they loved last time.

My breeder friend had given me pine shavings this time for nesting material, as he didn't have the same chips on hand, he said it would do just as well, and this is the only thing that was different. So I have taken this out (feeling like that may have been the culprit) the babies were covered in it when I removed them, almost like it had stuck to them on hatching.

So I have cleaned out the box and replaced the material with a slightly heavier but still fine chip.

Checking the eggs just before hatching .. what am I looking for or able to do in the future to prevent this from happening again by doing this ?

Last time went so smoothly, but then I never expected to ever breed even on a hobby basis. Rescuing mickey and kai falling for her was out of my control, it just happened. Now they are a pair, I feel that its only fair, each season to allow them to have at least one round of babies, to keep things as natural for them as possible.

Good strong German blood Angie doesn't handle, "I don't really know what happened" very well does she :( .. sigh !

Well Mickey seems to be handeling it just fine, she is out playing, eating, like nothing ever happened. I heard her beckoning kai yesterday and her loud wild female call fills the bird room again (grrrr .. lol) more noise.
Angie
---------
-----------
God Bless

Bryan

Post by Bryan »

My pair didn't really like the wood chips though I do like to use it when breeding other species. I used Pete moss, it hurried along the whole process of getting eggs, so maybe u would like to look into that u get it from the nursery, just make sure it isn't treated. They were in breeding for like 7 weeks and as soon as I changed it Pete moss they bred within the week. Just add some calcium to their water and they’ll be fine

kyria
Site Admin

Post by kyria »

I might give that a try bryan. It was so nice talking to you on the phone again. Son you are amazing, you are doing such a wonderful job with all your fids. Thankyou for supporting me and giving me some good advice on things to try, keeping me strong and focused :D .. I will let you know how all the different ideas work out with the quakers :wink:
Angie
---------
-----------
God Bless

Bryan

Post by Bryan »

I loved it 2 we should do it more often. I hope u try the ideas and see what happens :wink:

Jay

Post by Jay »

I've used pine shavings and have had good success with it. But I chanced upon an article in the internet that states that pine sap is supposed to be toxic for birds. I have since used Aspen shavings.

Checking the eggs just before hatching .. what am I looking for or able to do in the future to prevent this from happening again by doing this ?

So you know when the chicks hatched. If the parents don't feed the chicks (some proven pairs need to be nudged), you have the option to foster them or feed them yourself. Don't take away the chicks. Leave them in the nest. Just feed a small amount of watery formula to buy them some time until the parents take over the feeding tasks.

At this point in time, you don't know what killed the babies. So it's better to cover as much bases as possible.