Hiding the eggs,

Moderator: Mods

Gemstone

Hiding the eggs,

Post by Gemstone »

This is our first time breeding IRN's and just wanting to know would they burry their eggs so we cant see them, our yellow girl is spending alot of time in her box and we i went to check it she stayed in their even ehen i put my hand in she wouldnt move so i left her, she does com out every so often, our green girl runs to the box when she sees us at times and sits in their.

There tails looked bent, was just wondering if they would of burried thier eggs so we can see tehm etc, its not the pairs first time breeding for either of them.
Adam and Dude
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

I just want to clarify with you the situation you have there. There are two females in the same cage, how many nesting boxes, are they both on eggs ?

I dont think they would bury the eggs and if there is enough material in the box for eggs to disappear underneath I would remove some. Too much material can be a problem, not only for the female losing eggs under it, but for the hatchling when they come.

The bent tails are normal because of the cozy quarters of the nesting box, they will fix themselves up later when they are out of the box more.
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

julie

Post by julie »

I took a pic of inside one of my boxes for you.
Gemstone

Post by Gemstone »

Our pairs have their own avairy each so one nest box each, thanks for the picture.

Well i guess we will find out soon or later we cant get our hands in teh boxes at teh moment the girls wont let us have a look,
Adam and Dude
julie

Post by julie »

They may be getting ready to lay.
mattyboardman

Post by mattyboardman »

julie wrote:They may be getting ready to lay.

id say the same my female stayed in her box and would not move for any one / anything and she got ALOT nastier then she normaly is but there was no eggs but a few days later there was eggs so i think she is about to lay also imo if you cant see any of the eggs
R.I.P Baby 05 / 09 / 2007 You Will Be Missed !
Gemstone

Post by Gemstone »

hey guys.

I went out for my morning coffee and smoke today, and found that our greens were both out and about. i took the oppertunity to have a peak at the nest box, when i opened the lid, what did i see???

2 white eggs sitting in the bottom.
i was supprised at the size of them, she's not that big, compared to them.

we trying to work out dates now, and think she is in the middle of the laying cycle, is there a time of day they like to lay? we are trying to work out if she is in day 4 or 5, and don't want to keep going back to the box to see if another is there.

fingers crossed for the 23rd (predicted hatch date).

if we wanted to candle the eggs whens a good time to do this?
Adam and Dude
Jay

Post by Jay »

IRNs normally lay their eggs in the morning. Best time to candle is between 10-14 days after the start of incubation, which is usually after the second egg is laid.
mattyboardman

Post by mattyboardman »

time on laying depends imo my female laid hers and one of her eggs hatched 3 weeks after the other's..... ( could'nt put my hand in to remove before or she would of took my fingers off )

and now 3 of my babies have gone but the small one is still there so the mum / dad have worked over time this year lol so it depends if you ask me i dont know if im right on this tho jay is the best person to know this ( jay - master of breeding )
R.I.P Baby 05 / 09 / 2007 You Will Be Missed !