Laying eggs

Moderator: Mods

Chilled guy

Laying eggs

Post by Chilled guy »

Hello today I went out side to look at my irn I got male and female and the girl was in the box for like 3 days + so I went to look at her I looked at her a few weeks ago look were she lays her egg from in was flat I looked today and it was pretty big. Is it a egg and how much can she lay and when will
She lay it's breeding season btw
Wessel Gordon

Re: Laying eggs

Post by Wessel Gordon »

Chilled Guy

I'm not sure what you mean with her being big so I'm going to answer the part I understand.

She will lay between 3-5 eggs (roughly 1 every two days once she started laying) but she will wait to sit on them till all the eggs have been laid. Once that's done she will stay on the eggs for about 20-22 days till the first fertile egg should hatch. If all the eggs are fertile the chicks should also hatch roughly 2 days apart. You will notice when she starts sitting on the eggs to incubate them because the female will only leave the nest to eat and the male will possibly stay close to the nest to help guard it (he might go into the nest every now and then to feed the female and help keep the eggs warm).

Don't be surprised if they start acting aggressive towards you while the female is busy with her eggs/chicks...it's just instinct telling them to protect the nest.
Chilled guy

Re: Laying eggs

Post by Chilled guy »

Wasle she layd a egg I didn't put Enough of the thing I use to put in the box and the egg broke sadly will she lay more eggs ??? That's her first one