Another what mutation question??

Moderator: Mods

julie

Another what mutation question??

Post by julie »

I have 2 new birds who were advertised as gold. Was wondering what colour he/she actually is, I have a feeling the other is cinnamon but not sure about the lighter one, Sort of looks like the yellow has a green wash over the body??
swanwillow

Post by swanwillow »

this is just a guess for now, but my bet is lutino.
birdymomma

Post by birdymomma »

that's my guess as well
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

They are gorgeous...someone ought to be around here soon to help with the mutation though

Dani
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

<action> paging Depois de praiser, Jay to the Breeding Forum, Jay, thank you !

love doing that, I love the PA can you tell :wink:
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Our resident loud speaker gal. :wink:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Jay

Post by Jay »

IMO, the bright yellow bird with white flight feathers is a Lutino. The other bird, because of the brown flight feathers, definitely has Cinnamon in it. Since it has a body to head contrast, I suspect it also has the Pallid (Lacewing) mutation. So he/she is most-likely a Green Cinnamon-Pallid crossover specimen or a Green Cinnamon-PallidIno.

Nice paging :lol:
julie

Post by julie »

Would the lutino have the darker greenish colouring? you may be able to see it in the second pic and here is a pic I took without the flash.
Ohana

Post by Ohana »

I know nothing about mutations, But I think they are beautiful!
Jay

Post by Jay »

Without the flash, I can definitely see the head to body contrast on the second bird. So he is NOT a pure Lutino.

He definitely also carries the Pallid (Lacewing) gene because of the evidenced cranial cap. If he has Greenish wash, then the bird is a Green Pallidino or Greygreen Pallidino. Pallidinos tend to have whitish flights and Pallids have greyish flights.
julie

Post by julie »

I found out from the breeder that the father is dark gold split to grey green and the mother is light gold. Im not quite sure where he gets gold from and he also seems sure that the lighter one is male.
Jay

Post by Jay »

julie wrote:I found out from the breeder that the father is dark gold split to grey green and the mother is light gold. Im not quite sure where he gets gold from and he also seems sure that the lighter one is male.

Dark Gold and Light Gold are not standard mutation names for IRNs. Also it is genetically impossible to be split to GreyGreen since it is a Complete Dominant mutation.

The breeder was just giving descriptive monickers to his IRNs so I suspect that the father of your bird is a GreyGreen Pallidino and the mother is a Lutino. That would then be consistent with my assumption that your bird is a Green Pallidino (if there is Greenish tinge on the feather) or GreyGreen Pallidino (if there is Greyish tinge on the feather).

One of the big problems we have nowadays with identifying the proper mutations of our birds is that we have several combinations of mutations that look very similar to each other and to add to the confusion, we have breeders who refuse to use the proper genetic terminology or they just don't know any better. Hence, forums like this is beneficial to educate new and old breeders and pet owners alike. :wink:
julie

Post by julie »

Im not too sure what colour this bird is because it changes depending on the light. Today he/she had a shower and looked pretty dark on the body and wings but the head stayed the yellow colour. :?:
Jay

Post by Jay »

The bird is definitely a kind of a Lacewing (Pallid) then.
gazz

Re: Another what mutation question??

Post by gazz »

julie wrote:I have 2 new birds who were advertised as gold. Was wondering what colour he/she actually is, I have a feeling the other is cinnamon but not sure about the lighter one, Sort of looks like the yellow has a green wash over the body??

By this picture the above one looks a grey/green pallid-ino and the below one looks a grey/green pallid.And the rules of genetics the pallid-ino is 100% male the other could be either depending on the parents.

Here a link to a web page that may help you out scoll down to the pallid and pallid-ino area.And click on the (Pairings) for breeding tables and if offered click (Series) more picture of the morph strains.

http://home.wanadoo.nl/psittaculaworld/ ... rameri.htm