is my pairing worth it?

Moderator: Mods

swanwillow

is my pairing worth it?

Post by swanwillow »

I don't mean it like that, but am I just going to get visual greens from my turquoiseblue male/cinnamon female pairing?

pics here: http://indianringneck.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=4673

and, since I'm pretty sure that the pairing will be, well, of no consequence unless they have some funny split...

what would be good to match a devoted cinnamon female to? (I think, if I buy another bird, that I'd like to try and re-tame the male, since I'm sure he was tame at some point)
Klaatu

Post by Klaatu »

8) I would address that question to Mighty Mutations.http://www.mightymutations.com.au/
Last edited by Klaatu on Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gort, Klaatu Barada Nikto
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

<action> gets on the loud speaker and pages .. "Depois de praiser, please come to the Breeding forum, Jay to the breeding forum, thankyou !"

Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Klaatu

Post by Klaatu »

8) This is going to be interesting!
swanwillow

Post by swanwillow »

I'm asking because I plugged cinnamon female and turqu. male into a calculator and..

got 100% visual greens. But I think the cinnamon mutation is more complex than that calculator does, since I was looking at pictures with cinnamon/blues/greys
Klaatu

Post by Klaatu »

8) Again, I would ask Mighty Mutations.
Jay

Post by Jay »

kyria wrote:<action> gets on the loud speaker and pages .. "Depois de praiser, please come to the Breeding forum, Jay to the breeding forum, thankyou !"

LOL. Here I am. I was just tied up over the weekend.

The calculator is right swanwillow, 100% visual green offsprings. Being one of the more common mutations, there isn't anything real special about the Cinnamon mutation except that it has a Sex-Linked mode of inheritance (just like Lutinos).

Because the mutation affects the quality of feather melanin (process of melanin production is stopped while still in the Brown stage), then the resulting color of the bird feathers will be lighter in color by approximately 40%-60%.

The Cinnamon mutation will work well in combination with solid colors like Blue, Green, Turquoise, Violet, Cobalt, and Grey. Try to avoid already light-colored mutation combinations like with the Fallows, Lutino and Lacewing (Pallid) as the effect would be redundantly muted.

Additionally, Cinnamon combinations produce some real colorful nicknames such as:

Cinnamon + Grey = Silver IRN
Cinnamon + Green = Isabel IRN
Cinnamon + Blue = Skyblue IRN
Cinnamon + Turquoise = Rainbow IRN
Cinnamon + GreyGreen = Mustard IRN or Golden Olive IRN
Cinnamon + Violet = Lavender IRN
Cinnamon + Lutino = True Lacewing IRN
swanwillow

Post by swanwillow »

oooh, thanks! so I'm kinda almost close to a rainbow.. hmmm

what ARE the steps to get the rainbows? oohhh, Maybe she'll be worth it in the long run, eh?

oh yeah: edit: I'm pretty sure shes not just a cinn, she looks like a grey/green cinnamon (via pictures, shes too dark/cloudy for just a cinn, with the black eyes)

would that give me babies that look kinda like your Cinnamon Turquoise Greys?

TIA!

the previous owner said she KNEW they were set up like this for a reason. She bought them in a group, she still has a grey-green pair...
Jay

Post by Jay »

She must be a Cinnamon GreyGreen then and she should have lighter nails and feet compared to the Turquoise. Assuming she is split to Blue, the following offsprings are possible:

TurquoiseBlue x Cinnamon GreyGreen/Blue

Cocks:
12.5% 1.0 greygreen /turquoise/cinnamon
12.5% 1.0 green /turquoise/cinnamon
12.5% 1.0 grey/cinnamon
12.5% 1.0 blue /cinnamon
12.5% 1.0 greygreen /blue/cinnamon
12.5% 1.0 green /blue/cinnamon
12.5% 1.0 grey turquoiseBlue /cinnamon
12.5% 1.0 turquoiseBlue /cinnamon

Hens:
12.5% 0.1 greygreen /turquoise
12.5% 0.1 green /turquoise
12.5% 0.1 grey
12.5% 0.1 blue
12.5% 0.1 greygreen /blue
12.5% 0.1 green /blue
12.5% 0.1 grey turquoiseBlue
12.5% 0.1 turquoiseBlue

This would be an excellent pairing if she happens to be split to Blue. So if you can find out the genetics of the parents of the hen, maybe we can determine if she is split to Blue. Otherwise, you may want to breed her with the Turquoise for at least one season.

The only way to breed Cinnamon TurquoiseBlues (Rainbows) and Cinnamon Turquoise Greys is if the father carries the Cinnamon gene, one of each parent carries the Turquoise and Blue gene, and any parent carries the Grey factor.
swanwillow

Post by swanwillow »

well, I like those odds better than green!!!

LOL, yes, her nails are clear (the ones she has left, poor baby!!!) hes feet/nails are.. okay, going upstairs to look closer... yeah, his are darker, the nails definitely a grey, and hers are definitely clear. My main thing for looking at her and thinking shes not a straight cinnamon were the eyes being black. Then, I used my 'un-opinionated' significant other, and a website that has a TON of mutations, asking 'does she look more like this.. or this...'

I'm TRYING to track down the breeders of the birds, buts its proving, well.. difficult. Both are from AZ, probably from different breeders as the bands are completely different.

gonna just haveta wait and see what the chicks pop out as, aren't I? oh, how exciting
Jay

Post by Jay »

Hi swan,

Cinnamons are born with dark red eyes and eventually darken some as more melanin is produced.

What are their band numbers? I know several AZ breeders so I may be able to help you track down their genetics and pedigree.

You can work with these birds to eventually produce your Rainbow IRN. As long as the birds have the genes, it's just a matter of time.
swanwillow

Post by swanwillow »

female:
AAS AZ F 454

through the arizona aviculture society... and they ain't talking, I e-mailed, they said 'they'd ask around at the next meeting'

male:
DLP AZ 93

we're HOPING the 93 is the number born, not the year. I can cross my fingers, right!!! Otherwise, I'll be asking how old ringnecks can breed til!-birdiemomma has ones that are from the same.. person? down the line? SOMETHING like that, so we can HOPE and DREAM!!! gosh, I hope so.

I'm not TOO worried about producing rainbows, I'd much rather get a pied from you!

I'm a sucker for pieds. Completely in love with em! your blue lacewing is just SO pretty!
Jay

Post by Jay »

Ringnecks should be able to breed way into their 20's. They can live up to 30 years.

The DLP band is Danny Pineda. He can be contacted at azrngncked@hotmail.com

For the other band, contact David Smith at keltondkm@cox.net.
He should be able to direct you to the breeder of the Cinnamon GreyGreen.

Tell both gentlemen you were referred to them via Joyce Baum.

Hope that helps.
swanwillow

Post by swanwillow »

ooohh, thank you very very very much! WOW, thats so... well, AWESOME!
swanwillow

Post by swanwillow »

do you know how AWESOME you are!!!

the male I got a reply on right away, thats so nice! hes straight turq, born 02!!!
Ohana

Post by Ohana »

SW how exciting that you are starting to figure out who your Ringnecks came from and what you might get out of them. I am so excited for you.