Pallid-inos...

Moderator: Mods

rick_s0910

Pallid-inos...

Post by rick_s0910 »

Hello group,

Well I was wondering. What do you all know about the Pallid-ino mutation? I only know that they can be bred by crossing a male Lutino and a Pallid female. I also know that only males can be Pallid-ino. Other than that I'm lost. Is this mutation useful? (breeding wise) Will it mask any mutations when bred? Are there any other versions of this mutation, i.e. blue, grey, etc.? Anyone know where we can see some pics? Also, can it be bred from a Creaminoblue cock X Pallid/Blue or Pallid/Turquoise hen? Anything helps.

Thanks,
Jay

Post by Jay »

Hi Rick,

You’re right. PallidInos can only be male and is a combination of the Pallid and Ino mutations. PallidInos are desirable because this male bird can have Ino and Pallid daughters when mated to ANY female, including Green. It can also have Ino and Pallid sons depending on the hen it is mated to.

As long as the Ino gene is present, masking is always a possibility. The Ino gene removes the effect of melanin-dependent mutations such as Blue, Green, Turquoise, Grey and Violet. Some color breeders actually don’t breed Ino into their lines anymore for this very reason. However, because Ino birds (Lutino, Creamino, Albino) are visually very attractive, they always generate a lot of interest in the pet market business.

PallidInos look like Pallids, generally a tad lighter. In some instances, I can’t even tell the difference between Pallids and PallidInos especially the Turquoise versions.

For every Pallid male, a corresponding PallidIno male is possible. So you can have Grey PallidIno, Green PallidIno, Turquoiseblue PallidIno, Blue PallidIno, Greygreen PallidIno, etc…

All your Creaminoblue (Turquoiseblue Ino) cock’s sons will be PallidInos as follows:

Turquoiseblue Ino cock x Pallid/Turquoise hen
Green PallidIno/Turquoise cocks
Green PallidIno/Blue cocks
Turquoiseblue PallidIno cocks
Turquoise PallidIno cocks
Ino/Turquoise hens
Ino/Blue hens
Creamino hens
Creaminoblue hens

Turquoiseblue Ino cock x Pallid/Blue hen
Green PallidIno/Turquoise cocks
Green PallidIno/Blue cocks
Blue PallidIno cocks
Turquoiseblue PallidIno cocks
Ino/Turquoise hens
Ino/Blue hens
Albino hens
Creaminoblue hens

If you’re up to it, read on…

The Ino and Pallid mutations are alleles of the chromosome locus called Ino-Locus. A locus (plural loci) is a subdivision of a chromosome and can contain only one gene (either wild-type or mutated). The Ino-Locus is located in the sex-determining X chromosome (AKA sex-linked chromosome). Other loci located on the sex-linked chromosomes are Cinnamon and Opaline. Mutations such as Blue, Cleartail, Pied, and Fallow are located on the autosomes, also called autosomal chromosomes.

All IRNs have one pair of sex-linked chromosomes (to determine gender) and a number of autosomal chromosomes. Humans have 23 pairs of chromosomes but the exact chromosome count on IRNs isn’t known yet. To add to the complexity of mapping the bird’s genome, a certain number of the birds’ chromosomes are smaller and are called microchromosomes. They are about 1/10 the size of a normal chromosomes.

Anyway, since male IRNs have two sex-linked X chromosomes, it is possible for males to have an Ino gene on one chromosome and a Pallid gene on the other, hence PallidIno or Xpallid/Xino.

Since the Pallid and Ino mutations are inherited independently, the cock can have Pallid and Ino hen daughters. But hens only have one sex-linked X chromosome so they can only be either an Ino or Pallid.

:)
Last edited by Jay on Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rick_s0910

Post by rick_s0910 »

Thanks for the great info. I hope to have some Pallid-inos next season :)(my hen is still young) I appreciate your help. You are very knowlegable.

Rick