breeding

Moderator: Mods

raffy

breeding

Post by raffy »

Hi guys. I am new to breeding IRN and I am finding it rather frustrating! :? I currently have a grey cock and an olive hen who seem to be doing everything right, but she has laid her first egg outside the breeding box. She does spend alot of time in the box though and I can't understand why this has happened. I hope someone can help me with this! They get fresh fruit and vegies every day and are both of breeding age and in excellent health. Am I doing something wrong, or is this more common than I think?
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Hello and welcome to this board.

I don’t think your doing anything wrong. Your hen might be inexperienced and did not know to be in the nesting box during egg laying. If the egg is not broken, I would pick it up and put it inside the nesting box.

Because the egg was found outside the box, it might have a small crack. Go ahead and take some clear nail polish and paint the crack with three coatings. It’s always worth the extra effort to save a egg.

Don’t worry about her not laying that egg inside the nesting box. She just might be inexperienced or did not make it to the nest site in time. I bet she’ll get it right next time;) .

If she still lays the eggs outside of the box, go ahead and add another box, she might not like the one your provided for her or the location. So just play around with her until you both get it right.

Hope this helps and I moved your post to breeding. :wink:

Take care,

I.C.