Feeding at 5 weeks old, Help

Moderator: Mods

Alan-P

Feeding at 5 weeks old, Help

Post by Alan-P »

Hi Everyone, I have a blue IRN that is now just over 5 weeks old called Eco. Eco is still being fed 4 feeds a day and is currently at 121 grams and still gaining weight, I have been offering Kaytee pellets moistened in juice, cooked mixed veges, millet and some fruits, but he (not sure if its he/she) just is not that interested, he will eat a little bit but not near enough to sustain him throughout the day and is always more than happy to eat from the syringe. I was hoping that someone would have some tips, I know that he should be down to two feeds, or should i just continue feeding him 4 times a day and wait on him to decide that he wants to drop a feeding? Im really quite stumped at what to do from here, Any suggestions would be appreciated :)
MissK

Re: Feeding at 5 weeks old, Help

Post by MissK »

Hi. I'm not a breeder and I have no experience feeding young birds. I want to make perfectly clear that this is not my area.

However, I have read that it is better for Birdie if you let him wean himself. It is my understanding that restricting his formula may be detrimental to his health now and possibly to his behaviour later in life. At the very least, I think that while you are searching for the answers you should offer the foods you want him to learn to eat, but continue in the manner to which he is accustomed with the baby food. Of course, don't force him to take any food he doesn't want.

I answered your post because nobody else did yet and I wanted to suggest you not restrict his food in any way. I think that is quite important. I hope an expert will catch up to you soon.
-MissK