Softshelled Eggs

Moderator: Mods

Softshelled Eggs

Post by Guest »

Hi guys.. I have a pair of IRN.. I bred them 2 months ago.. I saw them mating.. after a month.. i was expecting some eggs... i tried checking the nestbox to check for eggs but there were no eggs.. until i noticed that the eggs was laid on the cage floor... and one more thing i noticed that the eggs were softshelled.... What can you advice me? I am givng powderized calcium lactate right now... should i remove the nestbox now? and rest them first and pump them with calcium supplements..? thanks...
maxiandjoey

Post by maxiandjoey »

Hello there
How about giving them a cuttle bones. Try that.

question

Post by guest »

Hi,
It is adviced to not breed unless your birds are in their prime healthy. I normally fatten my birds up with fresh fruits and veggies. I give them broccoli for the calcium they need to form eggs. But they love cut up apples and oranges and parts of corn on the cob. This is in addition to a sunflower seed heavy bird seed mixture. Sunflower seeds are like our french fries. It is up to you whether to remove the nestbox. If you are giving her a calcium supplement her next clutch may be fine. I have never given my birds a powdered anything. They do have a cuttle bone as the previous person recommended, but only one pair has used it. I think I would be more concerned with her laying the egg in the cage and not the nestbox, but this may be normal? Maybe someone can give you advice on that one. Anyways, I would give treats like goldfish that have extra calcium or fresh broccoli instead of a powdered supplement. Hope this helps!