new to this and worried

Moderator: Mods

raizyb

new to this and worried

Post by raizyb »

hey all, my father and i have recently began breeding indian ringnecks, one of our hens laid eggs last season but they were infertile. this season we have had hatchlings, but one of them was thrown from the nest and its head decapitated. we arent sure which of the nests it was thrown from. in a second box there is one chick moving around, and what looks like two dead ones. is there something we should do with these dead chicks if they are dead, and how young is too young to take the chicks from the box and handrear, if we are afraid for their lives?
Ring0Neck

Re: new to this and worried

Post by Ring0Neck »

Sounds like you have a communal aviary.
Indian ringnecks are best housed in pairs for exactly this sort of reasons... rivalry.

Indruders will kill other young, rival hens & cocks will fight even kill each other.
Now that you know your problem find solutions to resolve it ASAP.

If you never hand reared you should seek advice from a near hand raiser and be prepared before you remove them.
It is no easy task and many things can go wrong and time consuming, be sure you do it right and it will be rewarding.
I'm an Explorer
10% luck, 20% skill, 15% concentrated power of will, 50% pleasure, 5% pain$ and a 100% reason ..I just gotta know
raizyb

Re: new to this and worried

Post by raizyb »

I've hand raised other birds before, but thankyou. We have removed the problem bird, and had no further issues, at the moment we haven't got enough cages to seperate each pairs, and for some reason we have one cock bird who has mated with multiple hens this season, that doesn't seem right either