Brother and sister mating

Moderator: Mods

crazybirdlover

Brother and sister mating

Post by crazybirdlover »

About a month ago we got 4 yellow lutinos 2 of them are at breeding age and the other day i saw what looked like they where mating which is odd because they are brother and sister...we have plenty of other ringnecks available to breed however they picked to mate with each other.
can someone tell me when she would start laying??
i know inbreeding is not recommended but we can not do anything about it since we have only one stable aviary....can someone please tell me what could happen with their babies i expect them to have some sort of weird mutation due to the parents being nest mates.
Attachments
10451909_817513078267592_4999925504759734166_n.jpg
Wessel Gordon

Re: Brother and sister mating

Post by Wessel Gordon »

i am not an experienced breeder but I think the following might happen. If I am wrong I would gladly accept being corrected by an experienced breeder.

If they do mate and the female successfully incubates the eggs the chicks might suffer from some kind of physical deformity or illness.

The other interesting thing is that none of the six birds in the attached picture seems to be mature males. Is the brother and sister both in the picture because if they are it seems that the male at least is too young to successfully breed?
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Do you intend to breed your birds?
If she does lay you can replace the eggs with fake eggs or boil her eggs and then replace them in the nest box.

Regards,
Claire
crazybirdlover

Post by crazybirdlover »

We have been breeding for about 4 years now and the above photo doesn't show the males ring but I will post one another taken today and we will be fine hand raising any because we sell them even if have have some of sort problem but we let the buyer know about it but this season there is not much we can do about it but hopefully what I saw was domination thing not mating however the male didn't look aggressive

Unless the female wasn't actually the sister and the breeder we got them from just mixed them up that may be alright but we will take the risk
crazybirdlover

Post by crazybirdlover »

this is the brother sister pair, i dont know if you can see the ring but the boy is on the right side i will try find a better shot of him the male is about 2 years old and from what i have experienced with my other ringneck males they all hand chicks around the age of 2
Attachments
10599350_835411809811052_8863568843453241777_n.jpg