nesting box

Moderator: Mods

minniesmum

nesting box

Post by minniesmum »

Hi I am new to this forum. I have a query . I purchased a breeding pair of ringnecks last year and was also given their chosen breeding box.
I am concerned that it is too small. My hen has just begun sitting on 5 eggs in this box even though she had 3 to choose from, the other 2 being larger.
Her tail is now bent at the end as is her mates.
Will I have to pull the chicks earlier for fear of overcrowding ? And should I remove this breeding box altogether after I do and replace it with another in the same spot?
I'm stressing already, cant sleep :(
Hope someone can give me some advice.
AJPeter

Re: nesting box

Post by AJPeter »

Sorry l cannot help but post again in the Breeding threads
Wessel Gordon

Re: nesting box

Post by Wessel Gordon »

The overcrowding will only be an issue if she has an exceptionally large clutch and they all hatch. I recently moved my only breeding pair into an outside aviary and gave them a choice of three nestboxes as well and she picked a smaller one that's in a more sheltered location with the result that her tail is bent too. At the moment she has 2 confirmed 9-10 day old chicks with a possible third (but due to mobility issues I'm not sure about the third).

From my experience with Sun Conures it does seem to be that the females prefer a smaller, more sheltered nesting site. If you consider that birds in the wild are especially vulnerable when they incubate eggs it does make sense that even their domestic cousins will use the same tactic to use a breeding spot that's more difficult for potential predators to find.

If I were you I would keep an eye on her clutch if she allows you close to the nestbox and if it does appear that a chick is being neglected I would just pull that one unless you're planning on pulling them all eventually to handrear.

I hope this helps.

Wessel