I have a ?

Moderator: Mods

megan

I have a ?

Post by megan »

Hi all, I have a female IRN that was given to me from an elderly couple. Pepper is 7 years old and until recently was my bird. Now she has decided she is in love with my husband(who she recently was scared to death of) My question is can I breed her? Is 7 too old? There is a three year old male I can get who was not handled much so he does not like to be handled, but is quite a showoff. Will her personality change? Will she still like us or will the male be her only interest? Also how would I introduce them? Thanks any and all for your advice
Jodie

questions

Post by Jodie »

Hi,
Well, I think I went over a few of your questions in another post. But yes, she will change. Golden rule of thumb: do not treat breeder birds as pets. If you do not want to lose your pet, do not breed her. I would not advise breeding her with a younger male. I have heard that she may kill him. I am not for sure the cut off age for breeding. I have had these questions myself. I am a fairly new breeder myself. I have ordered a book that has 560 pages of nothing but ringnecks for $125.00. It is called Asiatic Parrots and their Mutation by Sjack Bastiaan. You can get this book for Charles Adams at http://www.rare-ringnecks.com/ I should have all kind of expert advice after I have this book! But the bottom line is all of this is just advice. There is no telling what your particular birds would do. There are some postings with the exact information you are looking for on this site. But the best thing to do is research more before you do anything. I would hate to hear that your birds killed a mate, because it could be the flip side and the male could kill your female. I do not mean to scare you, I just want you to be informed! Hope this helps!
megan

Thanks Jodie

Post by megan »

Yes it helps and thank you for getting back to me. I have read thru pretty much all of the topics but may have over looked this info. I was just confused because a breeder told me to remove the male for the rest of the year after they breed so I just thought that she may still be a pet. I guess I will not chance it. My next question is can I put him in his own cage in the same room and keep him as a pet also? Would they possibly become friends? He is at a pet store (small family owned) and was dropped off by someone who did not want him. He has been sold twice and returned because they say he bits(both only kept him a week). I just feel sorry for him and he seems like someone worked with him, he talks and shows off. I just need to make up my mind, Megan

Post by Guest »

I have heard of ringnecks breeding into their 30's
Jodie

question

Post by Jodie »

hi,
I am not sure whether separating them is advisable or not. I have mine together for space purposes. When they give me two clutches, I pull the nestbox. I did separate one pair for a few days, because the male just would not leave the female alone. I felt for the poor gal, but they are back together now. He will have to wait til next year for more loving! I don't want to wear out my hen. But if I had more space I would separate them so if I wanted to pair up new partners next year, I could. Right now they all have the same mate and I do not intend to change them around. But I think they would be happier with more room and no one to have to share their food with. Besides that, have you ever seen them fight over bathing? Even my bonded pairs fight over the cold water baths! Each breeder does their own thing, but I think it remains with the birds. You have to watch them. You can see who is the more aggressive and how they behave. If they get along, I don't see why they can't stay together. Perhaps someone else can elaborate more on this for you.

It sounds like you have been really considering purchasing the male. Just because you buy him, you don't have to breed them! You have the ringneck-idous! You are hooked! They are such characters aren't they! I believe if you worked with him, he too could be a great pet. But don't leave out your number one bird! I think your mind making is really your pocket book. Pet stores can really mark up their birds! By the way, what color is your hen and your future male? I might can help you figure out what color babies they would have, if you went that route.

I don't know if they will become friends if you put them in the same room. Seeing that you only have had your female for a few months it might be alright. But ringnecks need alot of attention. I almost want to say they should be an only bird. It is hard to give them the amount of attention each day that they require. But I have to warn you, you are falling in love with a large variety bird! I have a small collection of ten right now but plan to buy (in my head) twenty more! I couldn't imagine owning that many, but I never thought I would have ten ( eleven includung my pet conure)! They are addictive! Even my breeders have such personality. I have one that does the wolf whistle now that I do when I first walk in the room. They are really adorable. Anyways, I hope this helps!