Green split lutino interested in my Nanday Conure

Moderator: Mods

Jodie

Green split lutino interested in my Nanday Conure

Post by Jodie »

Hi,
I have a pet Nanday conure, Sisko, that is my pet. He is the only bird allowed free from his cage. I admit this could be dangerous, but I did not think he would get hurt. He can fly.
I have a situation I noticed the other day. When I come in the room, Sisko normally flies to my shoulder. I go about checking water and foods while talking to my breeders. If Sisko is not on my shoulder he quacks with protest. He is a very jealous bird! So, I have just allowed him to be on my shoulder. I have him in a corner. He has a huge mirror and an extra play cage that looks outside. I have a curtain blocking his view of a shelf of pairs of breeders. He could see a few of the birds on the other wall, but I have recently rearranged the room so he can not bother them. I noticed one male being very aggressive with him. I thought Sisko would fly around the room and taunt them because he could. From this I assumed that Sisko was a male because, it was a male being aggressive toward Sisko. I have never thought about breeding Sisko, but did feel bad that he did not have a playmate, this is why he has the mirror now. However, the other day, I noticed another male bird flirting with Sisko. I saw his eyes dilate and his wings open adn twitch. It was definately flirting. I thought at first, it could have been for me, so I put Sisko down. The male bird ran in the direction where Sisko's cage was. They can't see one another, I wondered how this happened!
My questions are numerous! Because the male is interested in Sisko, will he breed with the female he is paired with? Has any one heard of a hybrid combination of a conure and a ringneck? Sisko is a black topped nanday conure and the male breeder is green split lutino. What kind of birds would they produce? Is this advisable? I have had Sisko for four years but have only had other birds for a year now. I have noticed Sisko does not want to come out of the room much anymore. He used to want to come out all the time. He was happiest on my shoulder. He is the same behavior wise other than not wanting to be away from the other birds. To me this was nice, because I thought Sisko accepted the other birds and was happy for the company. When I am near the cage with the male in it, Sisko does not seem interested. You would think Sisko would hop on the cage or something. I don't know. I am at a loss. I need help! Please, share your thoughts!
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Because the male is interested in Sisko, will he breed with the female he is paired with?

Good Question, It all depends on the Ringneck. Ringneck males will display for almost anything they hear or see during breeding season. It might be just an over excited male letting off some steam; however, if you provided him with a female I would not worry too much. Males are not picky.

Has any one heard of a hybrid combination of a conure and a ringneck?

Nope, that could not happen. Conures and Ringnecks are two different species. It’s like a Macaw and an Amazon mating. They may bond and practice normal courtship; however, when it comes down to fertilizing the eggs they would just be infertile.

Sisko is a black topped nanday conure and the male breeder is green split lutino. What kind of birds would they produce?

They could not breed because they are two different species.

Is this advisable?

Umm I know as a lovebird breeder before Ringnecks I was told to never produce hybrid birds. I believe, not sure though, but hybrid breeding in some states is illegal.

I personally would not practice it because some species are very limited in captivity due to lack of importation—hybrid birds only taints blood lines. Sometimes it does happen, but you just deal with it.

About Sisko not coming to you ad readily as before.

This sometimes happens. Because we all have to work or go to school our birds are left at home with other birds. So sometimes a bird will tend to bond stronger to the other bird and deal with the caregiver.

This happens a lot and the only solutions would be to spend more time with sisko on an individual basis daily, or just remove him from the room into a room by himself. The choice is yours.

Hope this helps and good questions! :wink:

Best Wishes

I.C.
Jodie

Sisko

Post by Jodie »

Thanks for all of your help!
I wasn't fo sure what to do, but I figured it out! I recently rearranged my bird room. Sisko had two cages. One for his sleep and food and the other for play. He has his own tupperware birdbath on the cage too. He is spoiled rotten. Well, with the new arrangment, Sisko was placed near the door, so I really did not have any room for his extra cage. I had the extra cage stacked on other cages in the corner. Sisko would fly to his extra cage to play like normal. I thought Sisko was flying to be near the male ringneck. It is definate the male has interest in Sisko, but the feeling is not mutual. I do not want to breed Sisko. I was just concerned that the male would not breed with the hen I have him with. So now Sisko has his extra cage back infront of his other cage. It doesn't look pretty, but it keeps him on his side of the room and privacy curtain from the other birds. I would have never thought! Thanks for the help!