New Member to IndianRingNeck.com

Moderator: Mods

chris_c

New Member to IndianRingNeck.com

Post by chris_c »

Hi everyone first just like to say what a great site this is!

I have had a pair of ringnecks for about 2 years now and am trying to breed them. I know they are 3-4 years old as i have papers and they are a proven pair. I have them in a large cage in my home and was wondering if they would breed in it, Ihave placed a nest box on the outside of it and the male seems to use it more than the female though she does'nt chace him or be aggressive towards him and they are actually very close. Could anyone help me or give me advice on breeding them?

reply would be greatfully appreciated!

Thanks[/b]
Jodie

breeding

Post by Jodie »

Hi,
It is customary for the male to go in the nestbox first. He is to set it up for her. She will go in to inspect it, to see if it is suitable. Some people use cedar shavings others use corn cob for bedding in the nestbox. I have found that my birds perfer a drop down type nestbox. I think it makes them feel more secure and it is more a "tree" feeling. If he is going in it, I am sure she knows it is there. One problem I have is that you say you've had them for two years and they are 3-4 years old, I wonder how they could be proven? If they are 3-4, that is a suitable age for them to breed. There is not rushing them, give them plenty of food to fatten them up with broccoli and fresh fruits to help with egg development. Give them plenty of privacy (even though some birds are not shy about breeding). I hope this helps!