Is it normal for a chick to peep from inside the egg?

Moderator: Mods

agross30

Is it normal for a chick to peep from inside the egg?

Post by agross30 »

I have ended up with the last egg from a pair I used to own. The parents killed their first hatchling and the person who currently have the pair asked if I would take it as the hen is no longer willing to sit on the egg. It has pipped and is pecking away still, and is peeping. Now I have experience with parrotlets but not with IRNs, and in my experience chicks that peep in the egg are in need of help. Also the egg was cold when I picked it up, and had to hold it in my hand to warm up. Please please I need to know what to do??
agross30

Re: Is it normal for a chick to peep from inside the egg?

Post by agross30 »

Not sure, he has gotten quieter over night ( about 10 hours), will keep a very close eye on it.
agross30

Post by agross30 »

Baby hatched, hoping hang feeding goes well
SkyeBerry

Post by SkyeBerry »

Congratulations and good luck!
Mary
agross30

Post by agross30 »

The baby is now two days old and doing great, gaining weight every day, started off at 5 grams now is at 8.
SkyeBerry

Post by SkyeBerry »

Good news! Obviously you are getting food into the little guy. I have never raised a chick. It must be very daunting...and tiring. How often do you have to get up at night? Do you have a weight chart to guide how much the baby should gain each day?
Mary
agross30

Post by agross30 »

The first 48 hours I was told to feed every two hours around the clock, then After try for every 2 1/2 hours if they can tolerate it well, it is up to 9 grams and 54 mm in length, I don't have a growth chart.
SkyeBerry

Post by SkyeBerry »

You must be exhausted! Do you have help? How often are you feeding now?
Mary
agross30

Post by agross30 »

I am actually ok, it is now going through the night (8 hours) no feeding and about every 2 hours and 45 minutes, trying to stretch out over three hours now.
SkyeBerry

Post by SkyeBerry »

You mentioned you had parrotlets. I have no experience with them but I have lovebirds. Do you know if they are at all alike?
Mary
agross30

Post by agross30 »

I am not sure, I have no experience with lovebirds lol. The baby IRN seems much more lethargic yesterday and more so today. Last evening though he perked up, and today he is sleeping more, he is still gaining weight and his crop seems to be functioning normally? He is nine days old today, does anyone have any idea if this is normal? Perhaps he is just growing and needs more rest?
SkyeBerry

Post by SkyeBerry »

You might want to ask in the breeders section - perhaps state Urgent Baby question - Do you have a good avian vet? Call them? Frankly, I am certain if it was my bird, I would make an appointment and ask to get in asap - this could be an emergency. I think these guys can go downhill quite quickly. What would you do if it were a parrotlet? Keep in mind, I have never raised a baby. So I am a "be safe rather than sorry" advisor. I wish I had more expertise, but I do not. :(
Mary