crop slow down

Moderator: Mods

birdman5000

crop slow down

Post by birdman5000 »

i think 2 of my three chicks have crop slow down i read on the exact label all about it and treated it with a thinner formula and got apple sauce tonight and will start feeding it tomarow as the label sugests. but i was wondering if tempurature causes it? if it does then is it too high or too low of a temperature that causes crop slowdown? and will an increase or decrease help to treat it? if you know please reply :(
Jeremy
Genetic Advisor

Post by Jeremy »

Are you sure they have slow crop?
How old are they? How often do you feed them? How much formula do they eat at each feeding?
annacttwin

Re: crop slow down

Post by annacttwin »

Try mixing the formula with Pedialyte. Its in the baby isle at the stores. In the past I have used it and it helped my little ones.
birdman5000

Post by birdman5000 »

i am feeding them every 4 hours, 4 times a day they are 5 weeks old the youngest is about 4 weeks old

they each like different amounts (mls=milliliters)

the oldest likes 12-13 mls. the middle only likes about 9 mls.

and the youngest eats the most he is always hungry for more but i stop him at 16mls.

the reason i suspected crop stasis is that it was 4 hours since the last feeding and they still had some food in their crop it took about 1/2 an hour more to empty and the next day the same thing happened at about the same time once more so i got scared and posted for advise
Jeremy
Genetic Advisor

Post by Jeremy »

At the start of each feeding, there should be about 10% of food still in the crop. If there is more than that, you might consider cutting the previous feeding out, or just lower the amount of food they get
birdman5000

Post by birdman5000 »

i dont mean to talk behind someones back but chamon told me not to feed new food on top of old food at all do u think im feeding to much
Jeremy
Genetic Advisor

Post by Jeremy »

That is if there is a substantial amount of food still in the crop. Like i said, there should be atleast 10% still in the crop. If there is agbsolutely nothing in the crop, it means you aren't feeding them enough or often enough.

If they still have full or relatively full crops at a certain feeding, but are nearly empty at other feedings, then you may consider cutting out on feed.

Can i ask what times you are feeding them?
Neokireina

Post by Neokireina »

I also heard that you should let it completely empty once a day which would be overnight. And not to top up as they consume food from the top of the crop and not the bottom.
birdman5000

Post by birdman5000 »

every 4 hours starting at 10 in the morning then, 2p.m. 6p.m. 10p.m.

but sometimes it varries a half an hour depending on how long the eat