weird/sick behaviour ?

Moderator: Mods

new too irns :)

weird/sick behaviour ?

Post by new too irns :) »

well today i had my 8 week old irn go off all foods.. he nibbles but doesnt seem keen on anything.. hes constantly rubbing his head on me making a funny sound likesomething is irritating him.. anyone have any ideas?

Re: weird/sick behaviour ?

he lived through the night. still not acting like hes hungry... making crying noises when itry feed him :( what the **** is going ..
thought people on this forum are ment too help..... get 1 reply in 24 hours helpfull as
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

new too irns :) wrote:he lived through the night. still not acting like hes hungry... making crying noises when itry feed him :( what the **** is going ..
thought people on this forum are ment too help..... get 1 reply in 24 hours helpfull as
I know nothing about raising babies, I brought both my birds home after they were weaned, so the only advice I have is: If you have medical concerns that may need to be answered quickly an Avian vet or a good bird breeder are the best people to call.
There are a couple very comprehensive sticky posts on the subject of hand feeding and weaning.

Every answer you get on this forum is from someone who has volunteered their personal time to answer you, the board is not always very active. Some people don't have time to go through every post and answer every question.
Besides that, you would not believe how many times the same question gets asked by new people....

Good luck with your bird.

Claire
electronegative

Post by electronegative »

new too irns :) wrote: thought people on this forum are ment too help..... get 1 reply in 24 hours helpfull as
Wow, I haven't seen a post this entitled since god knows when. Do you expect experts to be sitting on this forum 24/7 waiting to cater to you? Shame on you.
MissK

Post by MissK »

If I were in your situation I would call up the person who sold me the bird and tell them it needs to come back for some help. They should be concerned for it's welfare and be able to provide some sort of assistance.
-MissK
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

Please at least have some respect to other here, they are not vets but volunteers to help people for free. So be grateful that they even exist.
"Live with parrots and you learn to panic"

AlphaWolf
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

It is awful when you have a sick bird whom do you ask, l think new to IRNS is having a bad wobble and we should be more understanding, the best asdvice l can give is thath the bird is terrified of his new surroundings.
Billie has this habit of openning her beak wide and holding it open it looks as if something is stuck in her throat, but l think it something she has used in the past to get attention.
I know finches need to eat their own body weight in food every 12 hours, l know Billie will sleep 14 hours, New to irns has not givenut much, what sex, how old where did you get it from, most pet shops will give a guarantee of money back if bird dies in 48 hours, what sor tof food are trying to feed.
In the UK people in pet shops are not allowed by law to give a diagnossis, l think the same law applies to us.
Missk's advice is the best
AJPeter
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi new too irns :)

I have moved this post to the breeding section because people who breed and handraise chicks are more likely able to help you there. This thread may also be useful to you:
http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... ?f=1&t=799

People who check out the behaviour/taming section of the forum are less likely to be able to help with weaning issues.

I hope your little guy is doing okay. Did you manage to contact the breeder?

Ellie.

sorry about my bad temper guys :L

yeah nekka is great now hes about 10 weeks fully weaned. loves me and my family. havnt clipped his wings yet because he hit a window quite softly one day and he doesnt fly into them at all now he knows what they are.. well for now anyway
ive made lots of progress with him. when he flys around hel always try too land on me over anything / anyone else
he knows how too "step up" :)
Little Buttercup

Post by Little Buttercup »

I'm happy to hear that he is doing well. I'm sure you were so worried about him and was stressed out. I only read this thread yesterday and was shocked at electronegative's negative reply to you. I feel the same way, stressed out for my birds should something not show right about them.

Ash
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

I'm glad to hear your bird is doing well.
You can take him to the windows and encourage him to tap his beak on them and play with the glass to help him understand they are solid. Our older bird has completely adapted his flight paths around the house to avoid all the windows.
We still keep some light curtains on most windows when our younger one is out, though I have seen her heading towards one uncovered window full steam ahead and remember to turn at the last moment. I think she is ready for less curtains now, but I'm a bit over protective. ...
Her training window has a soft flyscreen to stop her hitting the glass.

Flighted birds rock!
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Good advice there from Claire. Unfortunately all birds have to learn about glass one way or another. Even a clipped bird can slam into glass. Incidentally, I walked into a glass door the other day (actually I walked into the screen door, so it didn't hurt quite so much), so it's not only birds that do it!

Mine haven't done it for a while now but if they get really scared (mine have a fear of men wearing work clothes!), they sometimes still will run into a window... but it's been quite some time now since they did that.

Your bird will learn.

Ellie.
electronegative

Little Buttercup wrote:I'm happy to hear that he is doing well. I'm sure you were so worried about him and was stressed out. I only read this thread yesterday and was shocked at electronegative's negative reply to you. I feel the same way, stressed out for my birds should something not show right about them.

Ash
Excuse me?? I'm sorry for offending you or anyone else, but I felt the OP's complaint that s/he only got one response in 24 hours was extremely rude, considering everyone who does know enough to help out here does so on his own time and has no obligation to offer advice. Being stressed out about your bird's health isn't really an excuse for being rude.

However, @OP, I am glad the bird is doing better :)

PS. If your bird hasn't learned to fly yet, I would strongly recommend not clipping his wings until after he does. Clipping the wings during the learning stage can negatively affect his depth perception for the rest of his life.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Can I say: two rudes don't make a polite? Or does that only make sense in my head? :lol:

Let's not turn this thread into an argument. Points have been made and noted. The main attraction of this forum is that it doesn't often extend into pointless arguments (at least not in the pet owners section :twisted: ).

I forgot to mention about window's, besides having a practice screen, I've also found opening the curtains a little further each day seems to help my not so tame bird realise windows are solid, without allowing her to hit them at dangerous speeds. That might be the new record for longest sentence ever on this forum!
Little Buttercup

electronegative wrote:
Little Buttercup wrote:I'm happy to hear that he is doing well. I'm sure you were so worried about him and was stressed out. I only read this thread yesterday and was shocked at electronegative's negative reply to you. I feel the same way, stressed out for my birds should something not show right about them.

Ash
Excuse me?? I'm sorry for offending you or anyone else, but I felt the OP's complaint that s/he only got one response in 24 hours was extremely rude, considering everyone who does know enough to help out here does so on his own time and has no obligation to offer advice. Being stressed out about your bird's health isn't really an excuse for being rude.

However, @OP, I am glad the bird is doing better :)

PS. If your bird hasn't learned to fly yet, I would strongly recommend not clipping his wings until after he does. Clipping the wings during the learning stage can negatively affect his depth perception for the rest of his life.
It didn't really offend me, but I just felt that we should respect others here and not tell them off, unless they are abusing their birds. And for new to irns, he felt it was a case of life and death, not just ordinary stress, he felt helpless. (Or is it she?) And it is my believe: Repay bad or rude behaviour with good and kindness, in that way I often get good results. And in the end everyone is happy.

Claire, you right about 2 rudes :lol: . But was I 1 of the rudes? If yes then sorry. :)

Ash
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Of course not Ash! It just seemed like the proverb made for the situation. :wink:
Little Buttercup

:lol: :lol: :lol:
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi electronegative and everyone
electronegative wrote:Excuse me?? I'm sorry for offending you or anyone else, but I felt the OP's complaint that s/he only got one response in 24 hours was extremely rude, considering everyone who does know enough to help out here does so on his own time and has no obligation to offer advice. Being stressed out about your bird's health isn't really an excuse for being rude.
I see it from both sides. I understand what you are saying electronegative but I can also understand the urgency of someone who is scared their bird is going to die. In fact we've had a few handraising problems recently with unweaned birds and I've felt a mild panic each time one of them appears on the forum so I appreciate the breeders who take the time to answer this same question over and over again as it can be a matter of life and death.

Now, I'm not talking to anyone in particular but I thought it might be a good time to point out that in some countries it is illegal to sell unweaned birds - where I live in Queensland, Australia it certainly is (see http://www.ehp.qld.gov.au/register/p00055aa.pdf)

Thanks for your contributions to our discussions electronegative.

Ellie.
electronegative

I am sorry if I came off as rude, that wasn't my intention - I just wanted to make sure that everyone knows that the people who offer advice should be respected even if they don't respond super quickly. I've never had any problems with any of my birds (knock on wood) so the likelihood of snappy urgency didn't occur to me.

Anyway, I hope all is forgiven. I didn't mean to derail.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

The pet shop l was manager of sold puppies unweaned and lost their license to sell pets that is until l came along and they got back a general license but not for dogs and cats, we had all the animals in a specal area are at the back of the shop and one day l saw l a large carton at the front of the shop so l went down to kick it back out into the market and discovered there was two very large rabbits inside they were in an awful condition, so l dragged the carton down to our toilet and locked them in about a half hour later an Inpector form the RSPCA (Royal Society for the Prevention from Cruelty to Animals came and said they had a complaint about our standards of animal care. He looked at all the stainless steel cages and how carefull we cleaned and fed the animals and went away mystified.
Later a stall owner came in and l showed him these rabbits and asked him what should l do with them? He picked them up by their ears and took them away. A few days later l asked him what he had done with those rabbits "Oh I sold them to the butcher." He replied.
And that was weird sick behaviour!
AJPeter