Breeding Season Australia

Moderator: Mods

Ring0Neck

Breeding Season Australia

Post by Ring0Neck »

I have recently learnt that breeding season for ringnecks in Australia going back say 15-20 years ago only started in September ! there was no July, August.
I wonder if this was true for SA friends also??

Can't help but wonder...
What happend ?? Why such a major shift (extension) in such a short period of time?
Selective breeding?
Climate Change?
Ringnecks adjusting to Australian climate (settling)?

what do you think?

I'm an Explorer
10% luck, 20% skill, 15% concentrated power of will, 50% pleasure, 5% pain$ and a 100% reason ..I just gotta know
Johan S

Re: Breeding Season Australia

Post by Johan S »

Back in the 90's, while we still stayed in a much colder region, the rule of thumb for us was that breeding season starts 18 Aug. Nowadays, with me in a milder inland climate, and my dad by the coast, neither is surprised and the norm is rather mid July, with some birds sometimes going down in June. Also take into account, those days we focused much more on Oz parakeets, conures and African parrots, and had only a few pairs of Asiatics.
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Johan Et Al with Opaline
Could you please take a pic of the opaline a few days old?
I want to see the amount of down on them and how easy can one identify the opaline in the nest.

Cheers
83IV
I'm an Explorer
10% luck, 20% skill, 15% concentrated power of will, 50% pleasure, 5% pain$ and a 100% reason ..I just gotta know
bennjamin

Post by bennjamin »

What has made you ask about a change in the start of breeding times for ringnecks Ben, and what area/location of Australia do you see this shift
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

bennjamin wrote:What has made you ask about a change in the start of breeding times for ringnecks Ben, and what area/location of Australia do you see this shift
Reason is the actual delay in this breeding season; i & other breeders within surrounding Brisbane area that i've talked to experienced:
higher ratio of clear eggs at start of this season compared to past data
& most importantly a delayed in the breeding season by say a month when compared to past data

I just had 2 pairs lay 1st egg today, which is a relief as these 2 pairs are impo in my breeding program.
I say delay as i am hoping that in the end most pairs will go down just later then expected; of course things can be worse and many pairs not to go down at all.
*From what i know thus far upper north Qld is doing well, some S. Aus breeders also mentioned delays in other posts.

I'm an Explorer
JonoH

Post by JonoH »

I'm in South Aus and my breeding season i have one pair with 3 babies aprox 20 days old today (first clutch), my other pair has been sitting on 4 eggs for about 2 weeks now so a little behind the others but mainly because i did not seperate her out earlier.

Last year i had my first clutch even earlier.
bennjamin

Post by bennjamin »

I do not put in nest box till mid July for ringnecks and usually have eggs within 3 weeks from established pairs. New pairings are much slower to start laying. As you mention, this year has been slower for some of the pairs .

Her are a few longtail species with egg laying dates from a diary of mine back in 1983 right through till 95
Alexandrines early July
Ringnecks mid July to mid August
Slatyheads Early August
Plumheads Early to mid August
Derbyans Mid October and into November
Kappa

Post by Kappa »

Hi Ben ,
I to am experiencing an unusual season. I have some pairs with young, some still on eggs and others yet to go down. Strangely enough, it's all the normals and pallids that are in full swing, and only 1 ct on eggs. The remaining ct's yet to go down.

The maturity of the birds does not seem to be a factor as I have both proven hens as well as 2nd year in ct (first time breeders) not going down yet. In the normals I have 2nd year birds, and older hens with young.

Unfortunately as a result, I doubt that I will be able to double clutch some of the hens as they are so far out of sync with the others.

Good luck to all with the rest of the season.
Cheers
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Kappa

You are spot on!!
That is the best way to describe the season for us as well, a few breeders in Brizi i know and keep in touch.
we're talking a pool of 80-100 pairs here.

I drove only 1 1/2 hours up north yesterday to Meet Ron R. and spoken to Ron M on the phone and both have had a normal good season.

I'm an Explorer
DavidAdelaide

Post by DavidAdelaide »

Hi Ring0 interested in what you might find in terms of change in breeding periods. If my info adds any extra value this has been my activity this season.

Both of the following pairs are new pairs (brought together this season). Both hens were purchased in March 2013, both Cocks bought May 2013...

Pair 1: Lutino Cock (UGH and Age) x Creamino Hen (from Pastel Blue Cock to Albino Hen, 3 years old)
First Egg: 14 August 2013
First Chick: 11 September 2013
Of 4 eggs, 3 live hatched (as at 13 September 2013)

Pair 2: Blue Cock (UGH and Age) x Turquoise Blue Lacewing (UGH and 2 years old)
First Egg: 12 September 2013 (currently on 2 eggs)

Pair 1 was in a separate aviary with three nest boxes to choose from, Pair 2 in another aviary with 2 nestboxes. Aviaries are 4 km from the Adelaide metro coastline and facing north direction. Pair 1 would have had more sunlight earlier due to the shadow from the house created in the afternoon.

Hope this helps, or may be of some assistance.
David
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Hi David,

Thank for the data.
It helps when previous years records exist to compare against.

What i am suspecting ATM:

It has not been proven or any studies done (that i am aware of) with IRNs to say if they can predict change in weather pattern such as drought and therefore alter their breeding results...but we know that here in OZ such behaviours have been recorded with Budgies and shown that when drought comes they breed only a handful and mostly males.

Data so far shows that these changes are regional, certain areas.
if we overlap two maps one dividing area where breeding is good and not so good.
2nd map of last draught affected areas and not so affected, i think we'll find a pattern there.
if so i tend to believe at this stage that weather is the main factor certain areas have "wierd" breeding seasons.

83IV

I'm an Explorer
Kappa

Post by Kappa »

Hi Ben,
I must also state that while my breeding season is some what irregular, my fertility rates so far are some of best I have had. I have had 100% fertility out of 4 clutches, so far, with a total of 17 eggs. Hatch rates have also been good with only 1 DIS and 1 DAH ( at about day 5). So if those results keep up I will be very happy, regardless of how the rest of the season pans out.

How have your fertility rates been?
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Kappa,

The fertility rate was low for early starers and got better toward Aug/Sept. ; rather dissapointing.
0 DIS and 1 DAH about 6 or so days (suspect parent's fault) - acceptable results .
still waiting for 5 pairs of CT mutation to lay thier first egg of the season; at least 1 is visual ct bird in each of 4pairs, 1 pair splits only.all mature males and mixed young/mature hens
Luckily most of these are not important pairs to me but 1 pair; the pair i'm hoping to get a lavender CT from, this season :roll: .

I'm an Explorer
frank&lola

Post by frank&lola »

this is my first breeding season, we put the nesting box in at the start of july and have just gotten our third egg today, so started on the 9th september. we are located close to brisbane cbd
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Thanks guys.

Second and a very probable reason is new & or young new birds.

Most of the breeders that experienced delays have also made changes to their breeding stock. about 30% new birds or higher.

It is fairly common for breeders to bring in new blood in a small qts without too much disruption.

I have been told that a well known breeder west/inland had no delays in his breeding season, if weather was to be the cause, he would have been affected also.

I'm an Explorer