AGGRESSIVE HEN

Moderator: Mods

Snake

AGGRESSIVE HEN

Post by Snake »

Hi all ,
My question is
I have my violet hen in with my blue pallid cock , they have been together for around 2 months and
Have got along fine until recently ,
The hen has become aggressive towards him and he tries to stay away from her because of this but she will go out of her way to get him ........

Being new to breeding just wondering if some go threw this as part of the breeding process or they are not compatable ?.......

Cheers.......
SCB 22

Re: AGGRESSIVE HEN

Post by SCB 22 »

Some males & females just do not pair no matter how long you leave them together. I suggest you seperate them, as some hens have been known to kill their male partner if they do not fancy them....

Rather be safe than sorry, and maybe try pairing her with a new male!
Snake

Post by Snake »

They where getting on fine it's just been the last 2 weeks ( breeding season starting ) that's she's been having a go at him .......
She's in her breeding box most of the time but if he goes near it she bites him
SCB 22

Post by SCB 22 »

Then its quite possible she has not accepted him as a mate, and if she is attacking him could seriously injure or kill him...
Snake

Post by Snake »

Ok thanks .....
Will separate them and get her a new mate.....

Thanks for the advice :D
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Hi Snake (mgs fan?)

I was getting to that same problem- every time the cock displayed to the hen or went near the box, she would dive bomb him- it was getting to the point where it looked as though things would never work out between them as he was loosing interest.. I took Molosus's advice and introduced a rival (only he was a pet, and I held him on the outside of cage away from their redirected angry attacks (be prepared for that)) they started mating pretty much straight after I took the 'intruder' away. After only 8 days of mating she started laying her eggs (4) all of which hatched apart from one which I tossed earlier on- as it were clear.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Hey shey,
Good idea but I don't have any spare to be a rival , all mine are paired up .
I've separated them and will get her a new mate.....

( not sure what you mean about mgs fan )