breeding IRN

Moderator: Mods

valian9

breeding IRN

Post by valian9 »

hi
i have brough ta breeding pair of IRN . was told that they have breed last breeding season. I have placed them in a outside aviary with a breeding box. they got on well for a couple of weeks , but now the female has got agressive towards the male. not sure if this is normal, or are they not compatible. we live on the fraser coast qld . HELP
ringneck
Site Admin

Re: breeding IRN

Post by ringneck »

To be honest, this sounds very typical of Indain Ringnecks. These parrots become very affectionate during breeding season. Once the season passes they return to being more independent. Females tend to rule the roost so males must watch out or back away from a dominant female. This is typical behavior. Ensure the cage/aviary is large enough so the female can have her space without attacking the male. If she becomes too aggressive, i would remove her or slightly clip her wings to ensure she cannot catch the male. Once the breeding season returns--she will most likely tolerate him. But please, if you feel she will harm the male, just remove him till next breeding season.

Best Wishes :wink: ,

IMRAN-C