When do i place the baby ringneck in the cage ?

Moderator: Mods

Cormacity

When do i place the baby ringneck in the cage ?

Post by Cormacity »

Hi all i have a 5 week old ringneck when do i put him in his new cage to het use to it ? As till now he is still in his box ?
McmillanBirds

Re: When do i place the baby ringneck in the cage ?

Post by McmillanBirds »

Hi Cormacity

You can start placing your baby in a cage between 5-6 weeks, make sure there is a baby blanket or material for him to hide under as they are a little shy still at that age. Also make sure he/she is not in a drafty area as it could potentially give your baby a cold. Start putting grated or finely diced fruit or veg in a bowl for him/her to start expirementing with too.

Good luck with your little one :)

Carmen
Cormacity

Post by Cormacity »

Hi carmen thanks for the reply the baby got used to the cage straight away today i noticed he statted flying so i had to clip abit his wings , i started giving him some soft food aswell cos hes getting off the formula and refuse to eat it hope this is good for him
McmillanBirds

Post by McmillanBirds »

Hi

If your little guy is starting to actually fly(not just flap to stretch wings) your baby is probably closer to 6 and a half-7 weeks old. Did you get a hatch date from the breeder/pet store you got him/her from?
Cormacity

Post by Cormacity »

He is 6weeks old now cos today he flew abit but smashed to the refrigerator so had to clip his wings for his safety aswell , about the food he refused eating formula these days i gave him some soft food i guess he is eating those is that ok?
McmillanBirds

Post by McmillanBirds »

Soft foods are good, try feeding him/her once a day, get atleast 5-8mls in his crop(a syringe will work a little better if you need to force a bit down) to keep moisture levels up. You can put a bit of seeds/pellets in too for him to try.

Here is a link to pics of my babies this last season, you will see I have noted how old the babies are roughly. 42 days= 6 weeks, 49= 7 weeks. You can compare roughly to see where about your baby is.

http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... =5&t=15422
Cormacity

Post by Cormacity »

Hi thanks for the pics guess mine is 6-7 weeks old
McmillanBirds

Post by McmillanBirds »

Awesome, they are at a very cute stage then.

Best of luck :) You can start putting a shallow bowl of water in soon too. They are precious when they figure out how to bath in it
Cormacity

Post by Cormacity »

Thanks once again i enjoy playing with him right now he climbs on my shoulder and nibble on my ear he is lovely
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Please please please do not clip your baby's wings yet. A bird that does not properly fledge will not learn how to properly glide when landing. You run the risk of your bird breaking his fall with his neck or breast bone. This is an extremely important time in a birds life. If you do not let nature progress naturally it will affect your birds future.

I believe you asked these questions about your bird in multiple threads over the last two weeks. I gave you advice in detail that you asked for. Do you still need some advice or did you lose the thread?? I can give you the link back to it if need be.
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

Redzone

Post by Redzone »

X2, baby birds are designed to be pretty much bomb-proof when fledging, in the wild they can fall from a great height whilst learning to fly so their bones are able to handle hits that adult birds cannot. If you don't let him learn to fly now, you may be setting your bird up for a nasty accident later!