Make your own : Calcium Mineral Block

Moderator: Mods

Ring0Neck

Make your own : Calcium Mineral Block

Post by Ring0Neck »

A common Question i hear a lot : What else do i need to supplement besides seeds /or pallets and fresh fruit & veg?

My answer : Keep it simple ....

I have found more then adequate to use a mineral block given it contains the right ingredients.
A mineral block & normal food diet of seed/pellets, fruit n veg will keep your birds in tip top shape and they will get all the calcium they need during breeding season.
Birds know how much they need so it is safe to leave it in the cage all year round.

My Ingredients i use for Calcium Blocks:

Shellgritt
Eggshells -> free from a bakery?
Charcoal -> make your own
Cuttlebone crushed
Plaster of Paris - in OZ: Bunnings

Here's a good article that runs step by step on how to make Calcium/Mineral Blocks !
http://www.birdkeepinginaustralia.com/a ... cle18.html

83IV
Melika

Re: Make your own : Calcium Mineral Block

Post by Melika »

Thank you for this- and the reference!

Just some supplementary info:

- No charcoal if you are medicating a bird. It binds to other drugs and can lessen their effectiveness.
- Eggshells can be easily dried/sanitised in the oven instead of the microwave- just don't burn them, they will smell nasty.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
JimHcctx

Post by JimHcctx »

I use a product here in the States called Dean's Calcium Blocks. He is located in Arizona and makes and sells a lot of them. Here is his ingredient list:

Contents: Calcium phosphate, calcium carbonate, steamed bone meal, oyster shell grit, Iodide salt, yeast, Nutria-Vets special milk protein Concentrate, dibasic calcium phosphate USP, liver powder, d-alpha tocopherol acetate, magnesium oxide USP, ascorbic acid USP, albumen, niacinamide USP, ferrous fumarate USP, choline chloride, paraaminobenzoic acid NF, Vitamin A acetate USP, d-calcium pantothenate USP, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride USP, Riboflavin USP, Thiamin Hydrochloride USP, Inositol Canthaxanthin NF, Zinc oxide USP, Citrus Bioflavanoids Complex, Hesperidine Complex, Beta Carotene FCC, Cholecalciferol (Vitamin D3) USP, Ratin NF Folic USP, Sodium Selinite, Potassium Iodide USP, Menadione NF (Source of Vitamin K), C ianacobalamin Concentrate USP (Source of Vitamin B12), Biotin, Silicon Oxide.

I give this to my Greys, Eclectus, Ringnecks, Conures, and anything else I might have. While most hang it in the cage, I have found it beneficial to break it up into large pieces and throw a piece in each nest box. The hens work it like anything else and I have seen them completely destroy a formidable piece in just one day. I try to give it to them a week or two before they start laying and in between clutches.

I have no scientific statistics, but I did notice an increase of eggs per clutch. Two years ago, I had 2 hens with seven eggs each. The guy who told me about Dean also swore he had a net increase of one egg per clutch after starting to use the calcium blocks.

For making blocks yourself, thier are some videos on youtube that are pretty interesting and created by a guy in Austraila if I am not mistaken.
Jim H
Nodding the head is not rowing the boat!
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Made in America :D ... and i'm not rowing the boat :D

Could Dean perhaps explain to the rest of us not so enlightened what all those ingredients are and what are they for? how and why does a bird need to eat that?

Take: Zinc oxide USP for example. I understand that powder is mainly used in cosmetics, skin care and for external use only.

I do not mean to be offensive, I would just want to know what i'm giving my birds and why if i was using that product.
Also, not my business but he only sold on ebay (got feedback for) only 2 block sales in entire 2012, none for 2013 but sold blocks since 2007. (sorry for spilling the beans)
I know from experience that happy customers come back, especially when a hen as you put it " ...destroy a formidable piece in just one day". Just facts, no offence intended.

As i said in my original post: Keep it simple but hey i'm just a simple guy, keeping it simple.

Yes, the youtube videos were made by M. B. from Australia.

Cheers
83IV
JimHcctx

Post by JimHcctx »

I can use Google too! NUTRACEUTICALS & FOODS *– USP grade zinc oxides can provide the essential mineral zinc, in vitamins, dietary supplements, and direct and indirect food applications.

What I dont use is ebay, and while Dean does have an ebay store its not the bulk of his business. If your curious, you might write him directly and ask. I as do others find his knowlege and product to be a slight cut above "simple," so I will continue using it with confidence.
Jim H
Nodding the head is not rowing the boat!