need urgent help

Moderator: Mods

xlillethdeathx

need urgent help

Post by xlillethdeathx »

My pair decided to neglect its young and one died. The other has been brought in to hand rear. Need feeding advice and a sort of time table for its feeding pattern? Any advice will do. Thanks.
Chienderace

Re: need urgent help

Post by Chienderace »

You didn't state the age of the youngster. The older the chick the less feeds it needs, eg. at 10 days, 4 to 5 feeds a day, 4 weeks old three feeds a day, 6 weeks two feeds a day. The idea is to allow the crop to almost empty and then feed, obviously, the smaller the chick the less you can feed it thus empties sooner. Hope this helps you. This was my feeding regime, others may vary, so nothing is hard and fast.
Melika

Post by Melika »

molossus wrote: Moderators : Since reactive learning seems to be the order among new breeders , may I suggest you create a separate thread for hand-rearing and emergency removal of chicks. I am sure many experienced breeders will pitch in to create a prioritised list of dos and dont's.

Molossus, perhaps if you came up with a list of common emergency 'reactive' problems you are seeing often here, you can begin to make a list with links/information as a sticky in this forum and there these questions can be posted as well. I recommend if you go ahead and make such a topic, try to update as much information in the first post as possible as new questions arise to help prevent repeated questions and make answers easy to find. Once you have the topic, you can PM an active moderator and ask them if they would like to sticky the topic.

Though I can tell you from experience that this will not stop people from making new topics asking what is already answered in such a sticky, you will at least be able to copy and paste the link.

For example, Imran has had this page http://www.indianringneck.com/handfeed/ since before I joined this forum. But I don't think it gets read as much as it deserves.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
JimHcctx

Post by JimHcctx »

For example, Imran has had this page http://www.indianringneck.com/handfeed/ since before I joined this forum. But I don't think it gets read as much as it deserves.
Hmmm, not only have I read that one (several times), but the rest as well. I think the articles expressed here are extremely valuable and well written. Every person who has ever received a baby from me I have pointed to this site in hopes that they will learn about ringnecks. While creating Emergency Checklists can be frustrating (and often never fully understood (and usually second guessed) at the time of a crisis), they are something that really does help in times that you don't have time. Flow charts are a little harder to create but easier to follow in some instances as the designers are forced to limit text and focus on procedure. Anything you guys decide to add, only increases the value of this already valuable resource.

And if nobody has said this in a while.... THANK YOU for sharing!

Jim
Jim H
Nodding the head is not rowing the boat!