My pair doesn't breed?

Moderator: Mods

RouKaime

My pair doesn't breed?

Post by RouKaime »

I have a pair of grey Ringnecks, but the cock doesn't show any interest in the hen. Hen won't even go inside the nest box. What should I do? They're from 2009 x 2008.

Sorry for my terrible english. :|
smick

Re: My pair doesn't breed?

Post by smick »

G'day unfortunately some pairs will never be compatable,you may need to change the cock bird as hens normal pick their partner. If they have been together for 3 to 4 years and don't act as a pair they may never pair up. I had 2pairs of princess parrots that never bred for 3years which is strange as they are usually easy to pair, it was after I put them in adjacent avairies hoping that visual contact would sper them on. Well where ever one hen went the oposite cock would follow and talk to her,dare say I swapped partners and this pair bred straight away but the other pair still wernt compatable. So sometimes there is no choice but to try enougher bird.
RouKaime

Re: My pair doesn't breed?

Post by RouKaime »

Thanks for the answers. aparently they weren't compatible. I changed the pairs with another I have. And they seem to get along very well. both pairs enter their nests now and hopefully they start laying eggs in a few days.