Is it possible for a male to not now how to "do the job"

Moderator: Mods

agross30

Is it possible for a male to not now how to "do the job"

Post by agross30 »

I have recently gotten an 8 year old male, he was/is a breeder bird, his old partner suffered an injury and was retired. He was sold to me, I already had a 1 year old female as our pet. He and she have been bonding really well through the bars, and now for the past few days he has been let out, and they spend all their time together. They feed each other, dance for each other, yes they both do (she has always danced and is DNA tested female), and he preens her and she does the "moaning" thing as I call it. But as far as I have seen, that is as far as they go....I am wondering if maybe he dosen't know what to do..or maybe they are finishing things up when I don't see... or is this a long drawn out ritual.
subodhhire

Re: Is it possible for a male to not now how to "do the job"

Post by subodhhire »

Hi There,

I dont have much experience with breeding, but i think either you should DNA test your girl again or wait for another year. It is just a possibility that the female is too young and so not fully prepared for the responsibility. Hope this helps.

Subodh
agross30

Post by agross30 »

I think it is a learnt dance as she was at the aviary until she was five months old, and may have seen the breeding pairs "dancing away". The pair just spend time together outside of their cages, during their daily free time, I don't expect anything, she is just one, and I have no nesting box set up for them, I was more concerned about him having a friend, and they do well together, and are cute to watch.
agross30

Post by agross30 »

I guess it is breeding season, the days have just started to get longer, with much more daylight. I make sure they both have fresh fruit and veggies daily, she has access to a cuttle bone/fish for calcium, water is changed twice daily, high quality pellets, but they do prefer eating their parrot mix seeds more. They spend a lot of time outside of their cages, as I want them to have a lot of exercise. Breeding is not my main goal, just happy healthy birds.