BABY BIRD JUST DIED. 2 DAYS OLD. DON'T KNOW WHY

Moderator: Mods

blueindianringneck

BABY BIRD JUST DIED. 2 DAYS OLD. DON'T KNOW WHY

Post by blueindianringneck »

THIS BABY HAS UNFORTUNATELY PASSED AWAY FEB 28 2013.... NOT SURE WHY. CROP WAS EMPTY AND NO TRAMA. IS IT COMMON FOR THE MOMS NOT TO FEED THE YOUNG? I NEVER THOUGHT TO CHECK THE CROP TO SEE IF SHE WAS FEEDING IT. 3 MORE EGGS THAT ARE GOING TO HACTCH. COULD IT HAVE BEEN SICK?
McmillanBirds

Re: BABY BIRD JUST DIED. 2 DAYS OLD. DON'T KNOW WHY

Post by McmillanBirds »

Hi

I noticed in the previous post that you touched the baby while it was hatching or soon after. I know some birds don't like this. I had a baby that could not get out and helped it about 3 years ago. The mother never accepted it after that even though she is a brilliant mother and I have had no problems prior and after that, she was not interested in the baby that I had touched. I left it with her for 3 days and ended up bringing it into the house for handrearing.
Not all circumstances are the same and no two hens are alike, so this may not have been the case.
I am very sorry for your loss and best of luck if any more babies hatch.

Regards
Carmen
blueindianringneck

molossus wrote:hi Blue,
1. is it her first clutch?
2. did anything extraordinary happen?
most likely the baby wasnt fed by mom. you can help by monitoring the rest more diligently.
at least 12 hrs after the next chick hatces you can start to watch for feeding. monitor over the next few hours and if she isnt feeding intervene. feed the chick and return it to the nest. keep this as short as possible. just make sure mom is brooding her.
inspect again about 3hrs later and check again for mom feeding. continue for a few sessions in this was and stop in the evening. resume in the morning....until she gets the idea... sometimes the chicks cry triggers off her feeding action.
you may have to hand raise the chicks or transfer them to another proven pair.
anyone who wants to breed with birds need to be prepared for hand rearing and have the necessary formula and equipment for the job.
be ready and be observant. good luck.

1. No She had a clutch at the previous people we got her from
2.nope. I don't think it was fed.
I have formula I have only ever had one clutch and I hand fed them at 2 weeks. I'm definitely going to monitor the rest!
THANK YOU!
blueindianringneck

McmillanBirds wrote:Hi

I noticed in the previous post that you touched the baby while it was hatching or soon after. I know some birds don't like this. I had a baby that could not get out and helped it about 3 years ago. The mother never accepted it after that even though she is a brilliant mother and I have had no problems prior and after that, she was not interested in the baby that I had touched. I left it with her for 3 days and ended up bringing it into the house for handrearing.
Not all circumstances are the same and no two hens are alike, so this may not have been the case.
I am very sorry for your loss and best of luck if any more babies hatch.

Regards
Carmen

True! I am going to monitor the rest and if they don't feed I'm going to! Thank you!
blueindianringneck

I did notice that the lower mandible was VERY small and I NEVER saw it open it. Don't know if there was a malformation or not