Can a grey male be a split albino

Moderator: Mods

Can a grey male be a split albino

Post by Guest »

I have a grey male ringneck. The man I bought him from told me he is a grey split albino. He told me he had paired him up with a grey female and they produced white babies. I am confused because I have herd it is impossible for a grey to be split. But then in a book written by people who have been breeding ringnecks since the sixtys say it is possible. In fact they show that albino is the only color a grey can be split. Can someone answer my question please.
Misty_Anikin

Post by Misty_Anikin »

From what I have read I think ALMOST any mutation is possible and not all are documented because it takes time and research when a new mutation does come around. So, I don't know for sure.

I have included a site where you can find a genetic chart that MIGHT help you.

:arrow: http://www.drzoolittle.net/genetics.html

:idea: I think a good idea might be to email a few breeders and ask them and see what they say. It is always best to get a few opinions on something like that form people who deal with it directly like breeders. Some breeders will tell you anything to sell you a bird for more money etc. So just be careful and make sure you trust your sources before you spend money on something that might not be what you thought. Anyway, hope this helps!
:)
-Misty
Jodie

Post by Jodie »

You are correct, grey is a dominant color and there are supposed to be no possible splits. However, albino is a sex linked mutation carried by males only. Perhaps the albino babies from the combination of the grey male. Perhaps the male is a heterozygous - where the dominant trait is carried on only by one allele and the bird is visual for the mutation rather than homozygous - where the dominant trait is carried on both alleles and the bird is visual for the mutation. Basically, you have a heterozygous grey male. Hope this helps!