Nest box ideas

Moderator: Mods

sarbee42

Nest box ideas

Post by sarbee42 »

Hey!
I'm wondering if some of you could post pictures of your nest boxes that you use for your IRNs. I sort of have an idea of what to get my husband to build but I'd love to see what has worked in the past and present for others.
Thanks!! :D
mikeb

Re: Nest box ideas

Post by mikeb »

don't have any pictures but 12"x12"x 24" deep with a 3" hole close to the top with a 1-1/4" dowel perch below the hole and a wire ladder inside the box under the hole down to about 5" from the bottom so the birds can climb up to get out and an access door near the bottom to check inside
JimHcctx

Re: Nest box ideas

Post by JimHcctx »

I use about the same in both metal and wood. I also use L boxes. I have had much better luck with the straight up and down boxes and found the L boxes allow enough nesting area to allow the hen to push the shavings over and out of her way. The result has been eggs which roll around from lack of shavings and end up scattered and cold. Also the lack of shavings appeared to have allowed a chick to die from direct contact with the nest box floor. Simple deep boxes with ample shavings do seem to work best.
Jim H
Nodding the head is not rowing the boat!