IRN Leg Band Questions

Moderator: Mods

GreenMinded

IRN Leg Band Questions

Post by GreenMinded »

Hi to ALL,

What's the standard diameter or size of the LEG BAND of a ringneck? What materials or kind of metals could I used that is not irritating to the birds leg. If you have a ring band, kindly post some picture of it.

Thanks.
GreenMinded

Post by GreenMinded »

It seems nobody is using a leg band in identifying their IRN. Thanks anyway. That's a great help.
Jeremy
Genetic Advisor

Post by Jeremy »

I don't know what diameter mine are.
I use size 11 stainless steel rings.
None of my birds are irritated by themm however, when handraising my Ringnecks last season, there was quite a large build up of droppings and nesting material and i had to get warm water and a cloth to wipe it off, in doing so, it removed most of the numbers and letters on the rings. They are still ingraved in the rings but aren't painted on so it is hard to see

I will try and get some pictures tomorrow
Datsun and Family

Post by Datsun and Family »

Sorry, as I do not breed and my girl does not have a band on her I dont know anything about them. I will be getting Datsun Microchipped soon because it really isnt as expensive as I once thought!
-Chamon-

Neokireina

Post by Neokireina »

The breeder put the leg bands on my birds so I dont know what type, But ONLY buy proper leg bands dont try to make your own. The store would be able to tell you what size is suitable for an Indian Ringneck. And they also come with a clamping tool to assist you closing the band around the birds leg.

Leg bands only really have a generic number on them. You can get special ones made with a phone number but I think only for bigger birds. The ring is only really useful to the breeder to identify the bird and look up what the parents were.

If you want the leg band for an ID in case your bird gets lost or stolen you might be better off microchipping.
Jeremy
Genetic Advisor

Post by Jeremy »

Here are the leg rings i use
Mazziemom

Post by Mazziemom »

Try L&M Legbands, they are very helpful and I'm sure would help you size them properly and order the proper imprint.

Athena
GreenMinded

Thanks

Post by GreenMinded »

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it so much.
vcrain

IRN leg bands

Post by vcrain »

I order mine from L&M bird leg bands in California. I use size 10 colored bands that seem to work great. They cost approx $1.00 each and have my initials, the year, the state and a number of my choice. I got them in approx 1 week. Hope this helps.

Valerie